Hey. Pull up at the corner.
嘿,停在邊上
Wait here.
在這兒等我
How.
你好啊
Good afternoon, sir.
下午好,先生
Yes?
有什麼事嗎?
I'd like to see the boss. What'd you say his name is?
我想見你們老闆,你怎麼說的他的名字來着?
I didn't say. Cagey, huh?
我沒說阿 很謹慎嘛
Mr. Boot is the owner and publisher.
布特先生是老闆和出版者
Okay. Tell Mr. Boot Mr. Tatum would like to see him.
好的,告訴你老闆,塔圖姆先生想見他
Charles Tatum from New York.
紐約來的查爾斯·塔圖姆
What about?
見面目的呢?
Look, fan, just ask him how would he like to make himself a fast $200 a week.
夥計,你就問他想不想讓自己在一週內快速掙到兩百美元
What did you say you were selling... insurance?
你說你賣♥♥什麼的?保險?
I didn't say.
我沒說啊
Cagey, huh?
很謹慎嘛
Now, isn't that something? Who said it?
那還真是個不錯的東西,誰說的?
Well, Mr. Boot said it, but I did the needlework. Oh.
布特先生說的,不過是我繡的 哦
Okay. I wish I could coin 'em like that.
好了 我希望我的話也能像那樣
If I ever do, would you embroider it for me?
要是這樣的話,你願意幫我繡嗎?
Oh.
噢
Mr. Tatum? Yes, sir.
塔圖姆先生吧? 是的,先生
Go ahead. What is it? Well, Mr. Boot, I was passing through Albuquerque.
說吧,怎麼回事? 哦,布特先生,我穿過阿爾伯克基
Had breakfast here. Read your paper.
在這兒喫過早飯,讀你的報紙
Thought you might be interested in my reaction. You bet I am.
以爲你可能會對我的反應感興趣 你猜對了
Well, sir, it made me throw up.
先生,這報紙讓我覺得噁心
I don't want you to think I expected the New York Times.
我不想讓你覺得我期待讀到《紐♥約♥時♥報♥》這類的報紙
But even for Albuquerque, this is pretty Albuquerque.
但即使是對於阿爾伯克基這個中等大小的城來說,這個報紙也不夠份量
All right. Here's your nickel back.
好吧,拿回你的鎳幣
Now, what's all this about my making $200 a week?
現在給我說說周進兩百美元的事情吧
Apparently, you're not familiar with my name. Can't say that I am.
很明顯,你不熟悉我的名字 那倒是真的
That's because you don't get the Eastern papers out here.
那是因爲你們這裏沒有東部的報紙
I thought once in a while somebody would toss one out of the Super Chief...
我原以爲在某個人扔掉的主流報紙上
and you might have seen my byline.
你見過我的名字
Charles Tatum? Worked New York, Chicago, Detroit...
查爾斯·塔圖姆?在紐約、芝加哥、底特律工作過
What about the 200? I was coming to that.
兩百美元的事情是怎麼回事? 我正要說到那呢
Mr. Boot, I'm a $250-a-week newspaperman.
布特先生,我是個週薪兩百五十美元的新聞人
I can be had for 50. Why are you so good to me?
但是你只用五十美元就可以僱用我 你怎麼對我這麼好?
I know newspapers backward, forward and sideways.
我知道關於報紙的一切方面
I can write 'em, edit 'em, print 'em, wrap 'em and sell 'em.
我會寫報紙,會編輯報紙,會印製報紙,會包裝報紙和賣♥♥報紙
Don't need anybody right now. I can handle big news and little news.
但我現在不需要新人手 我知道如何處理大新聞和小新聞
And if there's no news, I'll go out and bite a dog.
要是沒有新聞的話,我都會制♥造♥新聞
Make it 45. What makes you so cheap?
四十五美元一週好了 爲什麼你要這麼低?
A fair question, considering I've been top man wherever I've worked.
好問題,既然我不管在哪裏工作都是一級員工
You'll be glad to know that I've been fired from 11 papers...
你應該會很高興的知道,我曾經被十一家…
with a total circulation of seven million...
總髮行量達七百萬的報社給開掉
for reasons with which I don't want to bore you.
開除原因我不想煩擾你
Go ahead. Bore me.
說吧,煩我吧
I'm a pretty good liar. I've done a lot of lying in my time.
我很擅長說謊,我說過很多的謊
I've lied to men who wear belts. I've lied to men who wear suspenders.
我跟系皮帶的人撒過謊,也跟吊帶褲的人撒過謊
But I'd never be so stupid as to lie to a man...
但我還沒有傻到跟一個
who wears both belt and suspenders.
既系皮帶又穿吊帶褲的人撒謊
How's that again? You strike me as a cautious man...
那又怎麼樣? 我覺得你是個很謹慎的人
a man who checks and double-checks.
是一個會反覆覈實驗正的人
So I'll tell you why I was fired.
我現在就告訴你我爲什麼被開除
In New York, a story of mine brought on a libel suit.
在紐約的時候,我的一條新聞讓報社遭到侵犯名譽的起訴
In Chicago, I started something with the publisher's wife.
在芝加哥的時候,是我和出版商的老婆有一腿
In Detroit, I was caught drinking out of season.
在底特律,我被抓到不合時宜的喝酒而被開除
In Cleveland... I get the picture.
在克利夫蘭… 我知道了
Now then, I find myself in Albuquerque with no money...
而現在,我在阿爾伯克基,身無分文
a burnt-out bearing, bad tires and a lousy reputation.
非常的疲憊,還有着不好的名聲
Bad tires can be dangerous.
過於疲勞會很危險
I have only one chance to get back where I belong...
要鹹魚翻身,我只有一個機會
to land a job on a small-town paper like yours...
就是在一個小鎮級別,例如你的這個報社找份工作
and wait and hope and pray for something big to break...
然後邊等邊希望發生點大事件
something I can latch onto...
發生點值得我報道的事情
something the wire services will gobble up and yell for more.
發生點可以讓通訊社大爲震驚、並且會索要更多信息的事情
Just one good beat... a Tatum special...
只要做好了一個…一個塔圖姆特色的
and they'll roll out the red carpet.
他們就會大張旗鼓的歡迎你
'Cause when they need you, they forgive and forget.
因爲當人們需要你的時候,他們就會原諒你,忘記你的過失
But until then, Mr. Boot, you'll get yourself the best newspaperman you ever had.
但是在那之前,布特先生,你應該先僱一個最好的新聞人
At 40 per. When do I start?
四十美元一週好了,我什麼時候可以開始工作?
Don't push.
別急
I hope I haven't scared you off. Well, I don't know.
我希望你沒有被嚇倒 我也不知道
I'm not afraid of a libel suit, because I'm a lawyer myself.
我倒不怕侵犯名譽的起訴,我自己就是個律師
Check and double-check every word I print.
還會逐字的反覆覈實我將要印製的消息
Sure. Belt and suspenders.
那當然了,你那麼機靈
About that publisher's wife...You should know Mrs. Boot is a grandmother three times.
至於那個出版商老婆,我想你應該知道,我老婆是個是你三倍大的老太婆
If you wanna start something with her, she'd be very flattered.
要是你想和她怎麼樣,她倒是會受寵若驚
As for drinking... Do you drink a lot?
至於酒…你喝得多嗎?
Not a lot. Just frequently.
不多,只是經常喝
We have a shop rule here. No liquor on the premises.
我們這裏的規矩是不讓喝酒的
Uh, how about smoking? Of course.
抽菸呢? 當然可以
And, uh, I pay 60 a week in this shop.
另外,我付你六十美元一週
I'll take it.
我接受
Where's my desk? The one by the door.
我的桌子在哪? 靠門的那張
You may be outta here by Saturday.
你可能週六之前的時候就會被掃地出門
The sooner the better.
越快越好
Thanks, Geronimo. Take these over to the engraver's.
謝拉,傑羅尼莫把這些拿到雕刻工那去
What's this mess? They haven't got any chopped chicken liver.
這一團是什麼? 他們沒有剁碎的雞肝
I brought you some chicken tacos. Chicken tacos?
我給你拿了些雞肉玉米卷 雞肉玉米卷?
They're not gonna chop the livers anymore for you.
他們不會再爲你剁碎雞肝了
Nobody else'll buy them. And no more garlic pickles.
沒有人買♥♥,也不會再有大蒜泡菜了
When the history of this sunbaked Siberia is written...
當這個被曬乾的西伯利亞被寫進歷史的時候
these shameful words will live in infamy:
記載的文字將會使之聲名狼藉
"No chopped chicken liver."
“沒有剁碎的雞肝”
No garlic pickles.
沒有大蒜泡菜
No Lindy's. No Madison Square Garden.
沒有林迪舞,沒有麥迪遜廣場花♥園♥
No Yogi Berra.
沒有尤基·貝拉
What do you know about Yogi Berra, Miss Deverich?
關於尤基·貝拉你知道什麼,德弗裏奇小姐?
I beg your pardon? Yogi Berra!
能再說一遍嗎? 尤基·貝拉!
Yogi? Why, it's a sort of religion, isn't it?
瑜伽?什麼啊,是不是一種宗教信仰阿?
You bet it is... a belief in the New York Yankees.
說對了…這是紐約佬們的信仰
You know what's wrong with New Mexico, Mr. Wendell?
溫德爾先生,你知道新墨西哥怎麼了嗎?
Too much outdoors.
太多的戶外空間了
Give me those eight spindly trees...
給我八棵細長的樹
in front of Rockefeller Center any day.
哪天放到洛克菲勒集團的門口
That's enough outdoors for me.
對我來說,那就是足夠的戶外空間拉
No subways smelling sweet-sour.
沒有地鐵的味道
What do you use for noise around here?
你們怎麼應付這周圍的噪音?
No beautiful roar from eight million ants...
八百萬的人口都安安靜靜
fighting, cursing, loving.
沒有鬥毆,咒罵,愛情
No shows. No South Pacific.
什麼都沒有,一點都不像南太平洋地區
No chic little dames across a crowded bar.
也沒有衣着精緻的女士從擁擠的酒吧裏面走過
And worst of all, Herbie...
最糟糕的是,赫比
no 80th floor to jump from when you feel like it.
當你想跳樓的時候,這都沒有足夠高的樓供你跳
Is this one of your long-playing records, Chuck?
這是你長唱片的一張嗎,查克?
Let's hear the other side.
我們聽聽另一面
All right. I'll play it for you.
好啊,我給你放
When I came here, I thought this was gonna be a 30-day stretch, maybe 60.
我來這的時候,我以爲這只是個三十天,或者六十天的放鬆
Now it's a year.
現在卻是一年了
It looks like a life sentence.
就像被判了無期徒刑一樣
Where is it? Where's the loaf of bread with a file in it?
新聞在哪呢?能讓我謀生的信息在哪呢?
Where's that big story to get me outta here?
能把我從這裏解救出去的大新聞在哪呢?
One year, and what's our hot news?
一年,我們有什麼大新聞?
A soapbox derby.
肥皂箱裏的金屬
A tornado... that double-crossed us and went to Texas.
兩次穿越本地,並奔向德克薩斯州的龍♥卷♥風♥
An old goof who said he was the real Jesse James...
一個自稱是真的傑西·詹姆士的老傻瓜
until they found out he was a chicken thief from Gallup...
直到他們發現他是蓋洛普家族的一個偷雞賊
by the name of, uh, Schimmelmacher.
並化名做那個…施梅馬赫
I'm stuck here, fans. Stuck for good.
我被困在這裏了,擁躉們一輩子都要被困在這裏
電影精選列表