本片故事源自真實事件
一九五三年
埃德蒙·希拉里和丹增·諾爾蓋成爲首批征服珠峯的登山者
以後的四十年裏 只有專業登山者嘗試同樣的壯舉
其中四分之一登山者罹難
一九九二年
新西蘭的羅布·霍爾首創帶領業餘登山者登頂的商業團隊
此後四年中 其冒險顧問隊成功帶領十九名客戶登頂 無人死亡
一九九六年
包括斯科特·費舍爾的瘋狂山峯隊在內的其他商業團隊
緊隨羅布·霍爾的腳步
在兩週內創下了超過二十次珠峯登頂記錄
大家聽好
Can you just listen up?
各位
Guys?
我們還有2000英尺 600米垂直的路程
We got 2,000 feet, 600 vertical meters
才抵達第四營區
to Camp Four.
一路上都有繩索 我知道你們能行的
It's roped all the way, so I know you can make it.
一抵達黃色♥區♥域 就會重組
Once we get to the yellow band, we're gonna regroup,
戴上氧氣面罩 並開好氧氣瓶
put on the masks, turn on the gas.
大家聽懂了嗎
Make sense?
絕命海拔
一瓶要325元
325 dollars a bottle.
六週前
-氧氣瓶 -真是當街打劫
-For oxygen? -That's daylight robbery!
新西蘭 基♥督♥城
沒辦法 他畢竟壟斷了市場
Yeah, well, he's cornered the market, he's got it.
他算準這季會有二十支登山隊來大本營
He reckons there's gonna be 20 teams at Base Camp this season.
二十支隊伍
Twenty teams?
加上夏爾巴人與搬運工人 山上都要擠爆了
I mean, with all the Sherpas and porters, it's gonna be a squeeze up there.
這會影響繩子的支撐力度
Well, that's a scrum on the ropes, right there.
-這是什麼 -海倫的東西
-What is this? -It's Helen's.
是用來佈置用餐區的
It's a little decoration for the mess tent.
-你可以戴在你的頭上 -我會的 謝謝
-You can wear them in your hair. -I'll have that. Thank you.
我有消息宣佈
Okay, I got some news.
喬恩·克拉考爾選中了我們
We got Krakauer.
你搶了斯科特·費舍爾的顧客
You stole him from Scott Fischer?
-不 是他自己決定的 -幹得好 羅布
-No, he made up his own mind. -Good job, Rob!
他願意付你多少酬勞 羅布
How much is he paying you, Rob?
這個嘛 他只需自費機票...
Well, he's only paying for his airfare.
我們就換取了雜♥志♥封面與採訪
But we get 5,000 words in the magazine and our picture on the front cover. Huh?
物超所值 很棒吧
That makes it all worthwhile. Right there.
-前提是你能帶他到山頂...-前提是
-Well, if you get him to the top. -If?
你對我這麼沒信心
If? How can you say that to me?
-來 沒問題吧 -蓋 謝謝你 老兄
-There you go. You all right? -Thanks, Guy. Cheers, mate.
-嗨 -哈羅
-Hey! -Hello!
-你好嗎 -很好 你呢
-You all right? -Oh, yeah, how are you?
-我很好 -看看你
-Me? I'm good. -Oh, look at you!
我知道 大肚子
I know, I'm big.
-給你 -你還好吧
-Here you go. -You good?
你知道的 我會很想念你
Yeah, you know, I'm just gonna miss you.
走吧
Come on.
走吧 蓋
Let's go, Guy
小心點 好嗎
Just go careful, all right?
-不然我...-拜託 親愛的
-It's... -Please, my love.
好啦 請別擔心
Come on. Please don't worry.
我是無所事事纔會胡思亂想
It's just the doing nothing back here that's making me worry.
-你並沒有無所事事 -是的 但是...
-You're not doing nothing. -No, but...
什麼
What?
等待你的時間特別難度過
It's the waiting for you.
-是在等待他 -是個她
-For him. -Her.
-她 -她
-Her. -Her.
你要趕在孩子出生前回來 羅布·霍爾
Just be back for the birth, Rob Hall.
那是當然的
You try and stop me.
新西蘭前往加德滿都7419班機 最後登機呼叫
This is a final call for Air New Zealand Flight 7419 to Kathmandu.
-好了 我愛你 -快走 不然我要哭了
-Okay, I love you. -Go, or I'll cry.
走吧
Go.
再見
ByeBye!
尼泊爾 加德滿都
1996年3月30號♥
好的
Yeah
-你就只有這些包袱 -是的 就這些
-That all you got? -Yeah, that's it.
我們應該往那裏去
I think we're over here.
嗨 你們是哪個團隊的
Hey, what outfit you guys with?
-冒險顧問隊 -好極了 我也是 我是貝克
-Uh, Adventure Consultants. -Ah, good. Me too.
-貝克·威瑟斯 -道格·漢森
-Ah. I'm Beck. Beck Weathers. -Doug Hansen.
-喬恩·克拉考爾 -你好嗎
-Jon Krakauer. -How you doing?
-好 -你是...
-Good. -Are you, uh...
-戶外雜♥志♥的克拉考爾 -是的
-Krakauer from Outside magazine? -Yep.
真的
Really?
你來這裏幹嘛 寫作還是登山
What are you doing? Writing or climbing or what?
兩者兼是
Little bit of both. Hmm.
我會向你報告登山後的感觀
Well, I'll let you know how the summit goes, okay?
不必了 我自己會上去
No need. I'll be there.
等着瞧吧
Ah, we'll see.
你不爬山的時候做些什麼 道格
What do you do when you're not climbing, Doug?
-你是指工作 -是的
-What, for work? -Yeah.
我身兼多職 木匠 郵差
Uh, different things. Carpenter, mailman.
-木匠 郵差 -沒錯
-Carpenter, mailman? -Yep.
-你真的會送信 -是的 我真會送信
-Seriously, you deliver the mail? -Yeah, I deliver the mail.
想當登上珠峯的郵差
Mailman on Everest?
但願如此
Hope so.
這主意真棒
I like that.
登上珠峯的郵差
Mailman on Everest.
到了
There we go.
-貝克 -什麼事
-Beck. -Yeah?
你知道他去年有爬到南峯嗎
You know he made it to the South Summit on Everest last year?
-誰 道格嗎 -沒錯
-Who, Doug did? -Yeah.
對一個郵差來說算高了
That's pretty high for a mailman.
還有麥金利山的朗斯峯
Yep. Longs Peak, McKinley.
我從沒成功登頂麥金利山
I never made it up to the top of McKinley myself.
-我知道 -你怎麼會知道
-I know. -Well, how do you know that?
你在1989年爬的吧
'89, right?
你做足了功課
Oh! You've done your research.
這是我的本行
That's what we do.
各位朋友 你們將踏上一些名人的足跡
You, my friends, are following in some very famous footsteps.
追隨喬治·埃佛勒斯...
A history made famous by George Everest,
喬治·馬洛裏 丹增·諾爾蓋 以及埃德蒙·希拉里
George Mallory, Tenzing Norgay, Edmund Hillary.
還有羅布·霍爾
And Rob Hall!
他們都是傳奇人物
Legends all of them!
沒錯
That's right.
爲了勇於實現夢想的各位...
For those of you who dare face their dreams,
冒險顧問隊將會提供無法用言語形容的體驗
Adventure Consultants offers something beyond the power of words to describe.
這些體驗爲什麼沒寫在手冊裏
And why don't we describe it in the brochure?
因爲那大多數會是痛苦的體驗
Because it's mostly just pain.
-是的 -一點都沒錯
-Yes. -Ain't that the truth?
還可能會發生什麼事 麥克
And the odd, if you don't mind, Mike,
可能會少了只腳趾
and the odd missing toe.
就這樣
There we go.
簡單來說 人體的結構不適合...
To put it simply, guys, human beings
處在747飛機巡航的高度
simply aren't built to function at the cruising altitude of a 747.
我們一到達南坳...
Okay, once we get above here, above the South Col
身體就會呈現接近死亡的狀態
our bodies will be literally dying. And I mean literally dying.
這地方畢竟被稱爲死亡地帶
It's not called the Death Zone for nothing, guys.
所以關鍵是...
So the game is,
我們能否安全的帶你們...
can we get you up to the top and down to the bottom
登上山峯又返回山下
before that happens?
你肯定能
You sure can.
先生女士們 這是貝克·威瑟斯
Oh, Beck Weathers, ladies and gentlemen.
你們可能已經發現他是德州來的
You might have noticed a bit of the Lone Star State?
我是德州人 土生土長的德州人
100% Texan right here, people. 100% Texan.
你們已經會見了麥克·格如
You've met Mike Groom.
我想給各位介紹安迪·哈里斯
I'd like to introduce you to Andy Harris.
-請叫我哈羅德 -我們是來自皇后鎮的嚮導
-Or Harold. -Our other guide out of Queenstown.
嚴格來說是來自塔拉納基區 大家好[毛利土語]
Taranaki, actually, originally. Kia ora.
海倫與其他隊員 正在前往珠峯大本營的途中
Helen and the rest of the team are already on the way up to Base Camp.
他們會在我們抵達前佈置好場地
They're setting it up for when we get there.
今天是3月30號♥ 各位
Today's March 30, people.
我預計在5月10號♥登上高峯
I plan on going for the summit May 10.
那是我和冒險顧問隊的幸運日期