祈求主 賜予我們現世
Please, Lord, grant us good in the world...
與來世的美好
and good in the hereafter
將我們從地獄之火中救贖
and save us from the hellfire.
阿門
Amen.
哈拉
哈拉 你錯過了晨禮
Hala! You missed fajr.
你還在弄什麼
What are you still doing?
你現在每天都不做早禱了嗎
Are you going to skip morning prayers every day now?
怎麼了 她睡過了
What's wrong? She slept in.
在我們家不允許
Not in this house.
4個字母 用來讚美的詩歌♥
Four letters. Poems of praise.
-Hymn[讚美詩]
-Hymn.
H-Y-M-N
H-Y-M-N.
10個字母 有助於成功
Ten letters. Conducive to success.
讓她先喫飯
Let her eat.
-Auspicious[吉利的] -吉利的
- Auspicious. - Auspicious.
我跟你說了什麼
What did I tell you?
她遺傳了我的聰明才智
She gets her smarts from me.
可不是
Of course.
你那愚蠢的填字遊戲會害她會遲到的
She'll be late because of your silly crossword.
這纔不愚蠢
It's not silly.
你是不是已經錯過公交了
Didn't you already miss the bus?
是
Yeah.
我說過讓你別買♥♥滑板
I told you not to get that skateboard.
她滑滑板不戴頭盔 萬一發生意外呢
She's skating without a helmet. What if something happens?
隨她吧 她又沒有犯法
Let her live. She's not breaking any laws.
只要她不跟男生在一起 就沒事
As long as she's not spending time with boys, she's okay.
放學後要我來接你嗎
Am I picking you up after school?
不用
I'm good.
大家請坐 把寫作日記拿出來
Everyone to their seats, please. Writing journals out.
"她最害怕的不是那些話語
"What she feared most wasn't the words--
傷人 刻薄 還有尖銳的話語
hurtful words, mean ones, or the ones that could cut.
不 這些她都能承受
No, she could manage that.
她無法承受的是字裏行間的留白
What she couldn't manage were the spaces between the words,
沉默
the silence,
評頭論足和潛臺詞
the judgment, and the subtext,
那些沒說出口的話
what was left unsaid.
她懼怕那無法觸及 無法看到的世界
She feared the inaccessible, invisible world
那些幾乎 本該 馬上 應該說出口
of the almost-said, should've-said, would've-said, could've-said,
但沒有說出的話語
but didn't.
她懼怕未知的可怖深淵
She feared the terrifying abyss of the unknown,
她能感受到一種無形又黑暗的東西
a shapeless, dark thing that she could sense
就潛藏在一句話的結尾或是開頭
in a quiet, uncomfortable pause at the end of a sentence...
靜默而不安的沉默中
or right before the beginning of a new one.
在寂靜與黑暗中
It was in the quiet, in the dark,
在獨處時
in the moments alone,
她最能看清自己"
that she could see herself most clearly."
拜爾先生 有什麼要說的嗎
Is there something you want to say, Mr. Byer?
寫得好 哈拉
Well done, Hala.
在這周剩下時間裏
You know, everyone will be reading from their journals
每個人都要讀日記
for the rest of the week,
所以最好做好準備
so I'd be prepared for that.
不會按照字母順序讀日記
Order's not gonna be alphabetical.
今天的作業
So for homework...
寫一篇日記
journal entry...
主題是這個
on this.
視角
你的視角是什麼 有什麼意義
What's yours? What does it mean?
我們爲什麼要在乎
Why should we care?
下課吧
Out of my classroom!
好吧 大問題是
Okay, the big question is,
我們畢業後那個暑假該怎麼過
how do we spend our summer after we graduate?
三個月不用碰書
Not touch a book for three months.
我決定要染頭髮
I've decided I'm dyeing my hair,
要紋個紋身 還要打個鼻洞
I'm gonna get a tattoo, I'm gonna pierce my nose.
你媽媽不會讓你這麼做的
Your mom's never gonna let you.
我18歲了 他們管不了我了
I'm 18. They can't say anything.
而且我要搬出去了
Plus, I'm moving out.
我真的很喜歡你媽媽
I actually like your mom.
她也喜歡你
Well, she likes you too
因爲你成績好 讓我難堪
cause you get good grades and make me look bad.
不 我沒有
No, I don't.
今年夏天你要教我怎麼玩滑板
This summer you're teaching me how to skateboard.
只要你來教我開車
If you teach me how to drive.
成交
Done.
來吧 姑娘們 跑快點
Come on, ladies, let's go!
快點 跑啊 加油 姑娘們
Hustle! Let's go! Come on, ladies!
願安♥拉♥的和平 仁慈和祝福降臨於你
May the peace, mercy, and blessings of Allah be upon you.
小心 還是燙的
Careful, it's still hot.
我都說了
I told you.
把手♥機♥收起來 你爲什麼不喫飯
Put the phone away. Why won't you eat?
怎麼了
What's wrong?
我們公♥司♥不想上庭
Our firm doesn't want a trial
但對我們也可能會是一次大勝利
but it could be a big win for us.
我別無選擇
I don't have a choice.
你總是有選擇的
You always have a choice.
盡人事 聽天命
Everything else, in Allah's hands.
好吧 你是對的
Okay. You are right.
哈拉 學校怎麼樣
Hala, how was school?
挺好的 還是老樣子
Good. The same, you know.
你總是和你♥爸♥爸說話
You're always talking with your dad.
但和我在一起 你就一句話也不說
But with me, you go completely quiet.
我什麼時候這樣了
When have I done that?
你的態度完全不一樣
Your attitude totally changes.
不 纔沒有
No, it doesn't.
-明白我的意思嗎 -你爲什麼爲難她
- See what I mean - Why are you picking on her?
-別爲難她了 -好
- Leave her alone. - Fine.
你最近在讀什麼書
So, what have you been reading?
我們剛剛讀完了《局外人》
We just finished The Stranger.
法國加繆創作的中篇小說 存在主義文學的代表作品
現在我們在讀《玩偶之家》
And now we're reading A Doll's House.
揭露男權社會與婦女解放之間的矛盾衝突
被稱爲首個真正的女性主義劇本
亨裏克·易卜生的劇作
The play by Henrik Ibsen.
挪威戲劇家
你會讀《戰爭與和平》嗎
Do you get to read War and Peace?
以1812年的俄♥國♥衛國戰爭爲中心 展示了當時俄♥國♥社會的風貌
我們大學裏講了一整節課
We had an entire class on that one in college.
要的 下學期學
Yeah, next semester.
那本書裏的真實人生體驗
There's more real human experience in that one book
比你讀過的任何書都多
than anything else you will ever read.
我會轉告托爾斯泰的
I'll tell Tolstoy you said that.
俄♥國♥作家 《戰爭與和平》作者
好了 飯都要涼了
Okay, the food's getting cold.
在最近的一次民調中 當被問及移♥民♥是否
In a recent poll, when asked whether immigrants
是美國身份認同的重要組成部分
were an important part of American identity,
75%的人表示同意
75% said yes.
我覺得你應該多理解一下你媽媽
I think you need to be a little more understanding about Mom.
她過度保護我了
She's overprotective.
你還想怎樣 她是你媽媽 那是她的責任
What do you expect? She's your mom. That's her job.
她一直這樣嗎
Has she always been this way?
她這樣是因爲你
She is this way because of you.
我第一次見到你媽媽的時候
You know, when I first met your mom
她腦子裏滿是主意
her head was full of ideas.
她很有冒險精神
She had a real adventurous spirit.
幾年前我父母在卡拉奇
When my parents were looking for someone for me
給我相親的時候
in Karachi years ago,
他們想找一個忠誠可靠的人
they wanted someone who was loyal and trustworthy.
所以我們就找到了你媽媽
And that's how we found your mom.
她也有過精彩的人生
She had a whole life
在她遇見我之前 在她懷你之前
before she met me, before she had you.
所以是你父母選擇了我的媽媽
So your parents chose Mom?
在那裏就是這樣
That's how it happened there.
你愛她嗎
Do you love her?