我們即將進入
We are about to enter into
人類有史以來
the most consequential revolution
最重要的革命時刻
in the history of human race.
我們即將開始主宰我們的認知進化
Where we can take control of our cognitive evolution.
我們提到的科技
We're talking about technologies
可以快速地改變人類的現有方式
that could radically alter the way we are as human beings.
我們所預見的是
What we're seeing is that
科技與我們逐漸合而爲一
technology is becoming part of us.
因爲我們正在把活生生的腦部
Because we're linking biological brains
直接連到機器上
directly to machines.
如果我們可以讓你從此
What if we could expand your capabilities beyond
擁有未曾擁有過的能力呢?
what we as humans have never had before?
肯定會有人說
There are a set of people who are going to say,
這是不正常的 是不人道的
this is unnatural, this is inhuman,
我們不應該這樣
we shouldn't allow this to happen.
實際上
The fact is, is that, we are transforming
我們正在轉化成一個新的物種
into a new species,
一個科技型的物種
a technological species.
沒人知道結果會怎樣
You don't know what the outcome is going to be.
沒人知道這個技術會被怎麼使用
You don't know how it will be used.
但如果我們開始修補腦部
But if we start tinkering with the brain,
開始改變它
we start changing it...
那麼我們會從根本上改變
Are we about to fundamentally change
人類存在的意義嗎?
what it means to be human?
如果是這樣的 我們能接受嗎?
And if so, are we okay with that?
我是人類
-醒來 -醒來
- Wake up. - Wake up.
-窗簾 -窗簾
- Drapes. - Drapes.
-1號♥ -1號♥
- One. - One.
-打開 -打開
- Open. - Open.
我在一個慈善活動裏騎自行車
I was riding a bicycle in a charity event...
俄亥俄州克里夫蘭市
當時雨下得特別大
it was raining really badly,
我跟着一輛郵車
and I was following a mail truck.
突然那輛車停了
And then all of a sudden it stopped
但是我沒剎住
and I didn't.
-窗簾 -窗簾
Drapes - Drapes.
-2號♥ -2號♥
- Two. - Two.
-打開 -打開
- Open. - Open.
-升起 -升起
- Head up. - Head up.
-繼續 -升起
- Do it. - Head up.
-繼續 -升起
- Do it. - Head up.
現在一切都變了
Things are different now.
我是比爾
早上好 科切瓦先生
Good morning Mr. Kochevar.
你好 丹尼爾
Hi, Danielle.
我繼續幫你
I'm gonna go ahead
坐上輪椅好嗎?
and get you up in the chair, okay?
我四肢癱瘓
I'm a tetraplegic,
完全沒有行動能力
which means I can't move my arms or legs
胸部以下完全沒有知覺
and I only have feeling from my mid-chest up.
我不是太在意這些
It's okay that I can't feel anything but
但是有時候也難免失落
sometimes I wish I could.
自從受傷之後
After my injury
我就跟父母住一起
I lived with my parents then
在他們過世之後 我就搬到了這裏
when my mother and father both passed away, I moved here.
早上好 科切瓦先生
Good morning Mr. Kochevar.
早上好 伊馮
Morning Yvonne.
好啊
Well hello.
今天早上過得怎麼樣?
How are you this morning?
非常好
I am just lovely, Bill.
有麻痹症狀的患者
In people that have paralysis,
神經跟肌肉的連接依然完整
the nerves to their muscles are still intact,
但是卻跟腦部斷開了聯♥系♥
but they're cut off from the brain.
幫你側過去
Let's get you up on your side.
於是他們就失去了
So they lose the ability to voluntarily
自主行動的能力
control their movements.
眼鏡放這裏
Got your glasses here.
如果我們可以瞭解
If we can understand the brain's
腦內部控制行動的機制
internal code of movement,
就會大大地幫助我們
it would significantly assist us in
去解決很多醫學問題了
better treating a wide range of medical issues.
但是我們目前還不行
But we're not quite there.
卡拉斌醫生 接待2185號♥
Dr. Carradine, pick up at 2185.
像我這樣的人
People in my situation,
他們再也不能動了
you know, they just never move again.
有時候想起來挺難過的
It's hard sometimes to think about that.
我一直希望能做到更多
I always want to do more.
比如我希望從這裏走到那裏
Like, I wanna move from this point
獨♥立♥完成
to that point without help.
或許自己獨♥立♥喫點東西
I don't know, probably eat something by myself.
如果可以的話
If it ever happens.
我希望讓人幫我端一盤喫的
You know, have somebody bring me a plate of something,
然後跟他說 好 你可以走了
and then I'll say "Okay, you can go away,
我自己喫
"I'm gonna eat this.
你半個小時再回來
"Come back in about half an hour."
當然我也不會想太多
But I don't think about it a lot
因爲實現它之前
because I know there's a lot of research
還有很多研究要做
yet to go before that happens.
我們所嘗試的
Everything we're trying to do,
我們想成爲的
everything we're trying to become,
我們想修復的
everything we're trying to fix,
都在腦部的未知領域裏
sits on the other side of the brain.
腦部是我們現有的
The brain is the single highest potential
最具潛力的焦點
area of focus we have in existence.
是我們想實現人生目標的
It is our best tool to do the things we want
最佳工具
to achieve in life,
同時也是我們最大的障礙
it is also the biggest limiter we have.
這個3磅重的東西 就是我們自己的整個宇宙
This three pounds, is our entire universe.
我們的感覺 情緒
Our senses, our emotions.
愛 恨 恐懼 嫉妒
Love, hate, fear, jealousy,
我們怎麼活動 怎麼控制自己
The way we move, the way we control our body.
我們的文化 語言
Our culture, our language,
我們的期待 夢想 願望
Our hopes, our dreams, our aspirations
動力 驕傲 驚奇
Motivation, pride, wonder.
腦袋定義了我們
The brain defines what we are.
但由於它總是在幕後
But because the brain runs so efficiently
高效地運轉
behind the scenes,
往往只有在出了問題的時候
it's typically only when something goes wrong
我們纔會意識到
that we appreciate the magnitude
要搞清楚它的重要性
of what's actually happening there.
加拿大博爾頓市
我不太明白我的腦袋怎麼了
I'm not really sure what's happening in my brain.
焦慮 失眠 麻木
Anxiety, insomnia, paralysis.
每個人的帕金森都有所不同
Parkinson's is different for everybody.
取決於你的症狀
Just depends on what you get.
我是安
那是隻紅雀吧?
That's a cardinal, right?
在叫的那隻
The one with that whistle, that one.
是的
Yeah.
我和安結婚38年了
Anne and I have been married for 38 years.
看 繡球花還沒開
Look, the hydrangeas, it hasn't bloomed.
我覺得安是一個特別溫柔的人
I think Anne has one of the most gentle hearts on earth.
不過多年來情況都變了
Things have gradually changed over the years.
她以前是個藝術家
She used to be an artist.
是救濟院的自願者
She was a hospice volunteer.
現在都不存在了
All that had to be left behind.
當我被確診的時候
When I was diagnosed,
我覺得對我而言最大的問題就是
I think the biggest thing for me was that
我會成爲沒用的人
I would become useless.
我會成爲孩子 丈夫
You know, I'll be a burden to my to my children,
他們的負擔
and to my husband.
也是社會的負擔
電影精選列表