-傑夫 給我介紹一下吧 -當然 當然
- Jeff, introduce me. - Of course. Of course.
"幻想,被理性拋棄,會產生難以置信的怪物"
—弗蘭西斯科·德·戈雅
難以置信的怪物
歐提斯
Eh, uh, Otis?
我想向你介紹一下讓·盧克·德尚
Uh, I'd like to introduce you to Jean-Luc Deschamp.
-很高興認識你 -好英俊的年輕人
- Pleasure to meet you. - What a handsome young man.
歐提斯的作品很漂亮 對吧
Isn't Otis's work absolutely beautiful? Isn't it?
是的 作品非常棒
Yes. It's quite good...
是一個流派的代表
at exemplifying a certain genre.
作爲一幅崇尚理性的流派的作品
As a work is Apollonian.
它非常理性
It's controlled,
我非常欣賞
which I respect very much.
但我在尋找更充滿熱情的作品
I'm looking for something more energized
更奔放的作品
by a Dionysian release.
爲什麼不告訴我你真實的想法呢
Why don't you tell me what you really think?
說實話 它很棒
Honestly, it's good.
但是你需要更放縱自己來創作
But you need to let go, lose control.
自以爲是
Self-proclaimed authority.
先生們 請不要這樣
Gentlemen, please. Uh...
讓·盧克嗎
Jean-Luc?
抱歉 先走一步
Excuse me.
抱歉
Excuse me.
那樣一點也不明智
That was not smart.
如果你想這裏經營下去
If you wanna keep the lights on in here,
我們必須不停的賣♥♥出作品 歐提斯
we have to keep selling, Otis.
他穿着全皮大衣
He's wearing all leather.
歐提斯 歐提斯
Otis. Otis.
你看起來棒極了
You look fantastic.
我也很高興見到你
Nice to see you, too.
白玫瑰系統餐廳
昨晚的展覽很棒
Great show last night.
但是
But...
你可以釣更大的魚
I'm ready to see you tackle a bigger fish.
比如賣♥♥給德尚嗎
Like selling to Deschamp?
這只是個開始
Well, it's a start.
你知道的 抱歉我不能繼續
You know, sorry I can't continually create
憑空創造像工廠的流水線一樣
something out of nothing like some factory line crap.
我不是想讓你沮喪
I'm not trying to upset you.
你一大早過來
Oh, you're over here first thing in the morning
告訴我我們需要向他展現一團糟的畫廊
telling me we need to show him Foo-Foo's Art Gallery.
別廢話了
Cut the crap.
既然你不在意
Since you don't care,
你可以搬出公♥寓♥
you can move out of this loft
搬回到我遇見你之前的地方
and go back to where I found you.
傑夫 我一直以來睡眠困難
Look, Jeff. I've just been having a hard time sleeping.
-你想喫一些安♥眠♥藥♥嗎 -不
- Do you want some pills? - No.
-我可以給你一些 -不 它們不管用
- I can get you some... - No. They... They don't work.
第二天我他媽的像個殭屍在工作
I'm like a fucking working stiff zombie the next day.
等一下 不 聽我說 你知道嗎
Wait. No, no. Wait, wait, wait. You know what?
我有個朋友
I have a friend.
他在一所大學工作
He... He works in the university.
他專門研究睡眠
He specializes in sleep.
你爲什麼不去讓他看一下呢
Why don't you go see him?
我不想那樣做
I don't wanna do that.
爲什麼不呢
Why not?
因爲我的生命只屬於我
'Cause my life is for me and me only,
而不是某些該死的庸醫
not some fucking quack.
你沒得選
You don't have a choice.
我剛在你身上花了一大筆錢
I just floated you a whole heap of money.
你必須去並且必須配合
You're gonna go and you're gonna be cooperative.
我要走了
I'm leaving.
你們中有多少人做噩夢
How many of you have had nightmares?
那些噩夢中有多少
How many of those nightmares...
感覺像真實的呢
...ever felt real?
亨利·富塞利畫的噩夢
The Nightmare by Henry Fuseli.
據說他是在闡明睡眠性麻痹
It is believed he's illustrating sleep paralysis.
睡眠性麻痹是介於清醒和睡眠之間
Sleep paralysis is a transitional state
的過渡階段
between wakefulness and sleep,
並且經常發生人無法對此
and often occurs with terrifying hallucinations
反應的可怕的幻覺
to which one is unable to react,
並且通常與夢魘出現相關
and typically associated with the incubus visitations,
如畫中所示
which are shown in this painting,
並且會有很高的幾率出現靈魂出竅
and has a much higher occurrence of out-of-body experiences,
有時涉及過去認識的人
sometimes involving people from one's past.
所以 像鬼魂嗎
So, like, ghosts?
事實上 是的
Actually, yes.
人們認爲是鬼魂的東西
What one would perceive to be ghosts.
這在受過創傷的人羣中很常見
It's consistently found in trauma victims.
我們時間不夠了
Ah, we're out of time.
記住 我們下週有個測試
Um, remember, we have a test next week.
弗萊曼教授 我報名參加了
Professor Freeman, I signed up
你的研究和下學期的倫理學課程
for your research and ethics course next semester.
那很好 但是到課率也是成績的一部分
That's great, but attendance is part of the grade.
我來上課了
I'm here.
這纔剛開學不久
It's the beginning of the semester,
你就已經缺課兩次了
and you've already missed two classes.
我知道 我晚上熬夜工作
I know. I work nights.
如果你想加入我的研究和倫理學課程
You're gonna need 40 hours of research participation
那麼到學期末時
at the end of this semester if you wanna be
你要參與研究滿40個小時纔行
in my research and ethics class.
我真的很希望能與您一起進行新的研究
I was really hoping to work with you on your new research.
我不打算找一個新的助手
I'm not looking for a new assistant.
我知道
I know,
但是關於我們今天談到的睡眠性麻痹
but the sleep paralysis we talked about today?
我想要成爲您的研究對象
I'd like to be your subject.
晚上發生了什麼
What's happening at night?
晚上沒有發生什麼
What's not happening at night?
抱歉 我不是
I'm sorry. I didn't...
我不是故意坐在您的桌子上
I didn't mean to sit on your desk.
這可以彌補我的出勤成績嗎
Would it make up for my attendance grade?
好吧 下週來見我
Okay, come see me next week.
現在我知道你爲什麼當教授了
Now I know why you became a professor.
傑夫
Jeff!
我想來看看你的學術生活怎麼樣
I wanted to see how academic life was treating you,
顯而易見 非常好
and apparently, quite well.
我要去參加一個會議了
Ah, I gotta go to a meeting.
-我和你一起走 -好
- I'll walk with you. - Sure.
告訴我你沒有特意爲我打扮
Tell me you didn't get dressed up for me.
我的確特意爲你打扮了
I got dressed up for you.
怎麼了 畫廊怎麼樣
What's going on? How's the gallery?
畫廊 畫廊很好 很好
It's... It's great. It's great.
我有一個新客戶
Um, I have this new client.
他很年輕但是很有才華
He's really young, but very talented.
我們在嘗試使他有個提升
We're trying to get him to the next level,
但是我不知道 我有種感覺
but I don't know, I've got this feeling
感覺他有點 怎麼說 有點受限
that he's a little, I don't know, blocked.
他無法入睡
He's having trouble sleeping.
我知道了 如果他能睡得好
Okay, and if he can sleep again
他將變得有無限創作才能
he can become unblocked
正是 正是
Exactly. Exactly.
所以我告訴他我有一個朋友
So, I told him I have a friend
或許可以幫助他解除失眠困擾
who might be able to help him out.
那難道不是藝術家矛盾的一部分嗎
Isn't that part of the artist conflict?
除非你把它浪漫化
Well, only if you romanticize it.
歸根結底 這是生意
At the end of the day, it's a business.
我正要開始一項新研究
Hmm. I'm starting a study.
如果他願意參加
If he's willing to be a participant,
這對我們將是雙贏的
this could be a win for both of us.
你說了算
Whatever you need.
不過先讓我見一見他 好嗎
Let me meet with him first, though, okay?
-好的 這太棒了 -我喜歡這套西裝
- Okay, but this is good. - I love the suit.