人要如何得知未知的事
How does one come to know the unknowable?
人必須擁有何種能力
"What faculties must a man possess?
自從發現鯨油
"Since it was discovered that whale oil
能以空前未有的方式照亮城市
"could light our cities in ways never achieved before,
全球需求隨之而起
"it created global demand.
迫使人類冒着愈來愈大的風險
"It has pushed man to venture further and further
進入未知的海域
"into the deep blue unknown.
大海深不可測
"We know not its depths,
也有多不勝數的生物
"nor the host of creatures that live there.
怪物
"Monsters.
它們是真實的嗎
"Are they real?
或者那些故事的存在 只是讓人類尊重大海的神祕
"Or do the stories exist only to make us respect the sea's dark secrets?
白鯨傳奇 怒海之心
南塔克島 麻薩諸塞州 1850年2月
這個問題令我困惑又興奮
"The question both vexes and excites me
因此我再度寫信
"and is the reason I've written you a second time
要求見您
"to request a meeting.
與您對談想必會使 我着手要寫的
"A conversation with you, sir, I believe will serve me well
小說獲益良多
"for the novel I intend to write,
目前書名暫訂爲"白鯨記"
"currently entitled Moby Dick.
希望您能重新考慮我的提議
"I hope you will reconsider my offer.
未知
"The unknown.
是我的想像力渴望探索之處
"That is where my imagination yearns to venture.
所以困擾我的問題依舊
"And so the question plagues me still.
人要如何得知未知的事
"How does a man come to know the unknowable?
敬啓 赫爾曼梅爾維爾
"Sincerely, Herman Melville."
我們打烊了
We're closed.
八點之後不提供住宿
No boarders after 8:00.
致 梅爾維爾先生
你來了
You came.
親愛的 你有客人
Someone here for you, my love.
湯姆尼可森
Tom Nickerson?
赫爾曼梅爾維爾
Herman Melville.
我們收到你的信
We received your letter.
你一定是無可救藥或愚不可及
You're either a desperate man
纔會專程來南塔克島
or a fool to come all the way to Nantucket.
我的提議仍有效
Well, my offer still stands.
三個月的住宿費換一晚的談話
Three months' lodgings for a single night's talk.
那是我的所有財產了
All I have in the world.
但我寧可想成投資
But I prefer to think of it as an investment.
我想請教艾塞克斯號♥發生什麼事
I want you to tell me what happened to the Essex.
你覺得呢
What do you think happened?
有一些傳聞
There are rumblings.
-據說艾塞克斯號♥...-你想怎樣
-Rumors that the Essex was... -What do you want?
你指望聽到什麼
What story do you expect to hear?
那隻鯨魚
That of the whale.
艾塞克斯號♥觸礁 調查結案了
The Essex ran aground. There was a full inquiry.
我不相信調查結果是真♥相♥
I believe the inquiry was less than truthful.
出去
Get out.
你是僅存的艾塞克斯號♥生還者
You are the last survivor of the Essex, sir.
如果你不說 誰會說
If you won't talk, who will?
你聾了嗎 馬上就滾
Did you not hear me? Leave. Now.
-不 拜託別走 -他不願意談話
-No. You mustn't go. Please. -He is in no mind to talk.
我不是專程來受辱和浪費時間
And I haven't come all this way to be humiliated and waste my time.
拜託 梅爾維爾先生
Please, Mr. Melville.
他不願對我和任何人談起此事
He won't talk about the Essex to me.
從來沒有 從不
To anyone. Never has. Never.
他痛苦不堪
There's an agony about him.
他的心靈
His soul is
深受折磨
in torment,
需要告解
and in need of confession.
拜託 讓我勸勸他
Please, just let me talk to him.
求你了
Please.
親愛的
Love.
我相信跟他談談對你有益
I believe it would do you good to talk to the man.
免談
No.
你給我聽好
You listen well.
你發酒瘋時是誰維持這個家
Who holds this place together while you drink yourself to death?
你得跟他談
You will talk with this man
也有必要收下錢
as much as is necessary to keep the money.
你懂我們的處境 湯瑪斯
You know our circumstances, Thomas.
我只會點到爲止
Only as much as is necessary.
我去拿威士忌
I'll get whiskey.
我在信裏忘了提
I neglected to mention it in my letter,
但我也曾是獵鯨人
but I was a whaler once.
只出航一次
One trip, I mean.
嫩手
Green hand.
那你都見識過了
So, you've seen it all.
內人讀了你的書
My wife read your books.
她很喜歡
She enjoyed them.
我很高興聽到
I'm happy to hear it.
我的書賣♥♥得不錯
I've had good sales.
我想這個故事
And I think this story
可能超越我的
could surpass the success
第一本小說 那本相當暢銷
of even my first novel, which did quite well.
你又想出一本航海奇談
Another of your seafaring yarns?
你讀過霍桑的書嗎
Have you read Hawthorne, Mr. Melville?
那纔算作家
Now there's a writer.
偉大的作家
Great writer.
確實
He is.
但他不在這裏 而我來了
But he is not here. And I am.
爲了我個人的特殊理由
For my own particular reasons.
我會告訴你艾塞克斯號♥的事
I will tell you of the Essex.
我相信你會很失望
I believe you will be disappointed.
但我的一言一語絕對真實
But every word I say will be true.
艾塞克斯號♥的故事
Story of the Essex
是兩個人的故事
is the story of two men.
船長喬治波拉德
Captain George Pollard
以及他的大副
and his first mate,
歐文契斯
Owen Chase.
歐文
Owen.
可別遲到了
You don't wanna be late.
我會準時的
I'll be there.
總不能讓女兒睡在漏水屋檐下吧
Besides, can't have our daughter sleeping under a leaky roof, can we?
你怎麼確定是女兒
What makes you so sure it's a girl?
非女兒不可
Well, it has to be.
才能提醒我
So she can remind me
爲何仍愛着倔強的你
why I still love you when you're being stubborn.
女兒的話會像你 不是我
Well, if it's to be a daughter, she'll be a version of you, not me.
一頭金髮 決心征服世界
Blond locks and determined to conquer the world.
今天之後
I suppose after today,
你會換上船長制♥服♥吧
you'll be trading in that tunic for a uniform.
沒錯
That's right.
終於能從茅屋
Finally out of this patch of dirt,
換到你才該住的船長豪♥宅♥
into a captain's house like you deserve.
我不必搬進城跟古板人家爲鄰
I don't need one of those houses in town with stuffy neighbors.
這間房♥子夠我們三人住
There's plenty of room here for the three of us.
有時你的好心和善良
You know, sometimes your kind heart and good nature
令人招架不住
is just unbearable.
去領你的船長頭銜吧
Go get your captaincy.
-你出價多少 -一點九元
-What's your bid? -I'll have $1.90.
-已經有人出價兩元 -我買♥♥四十股
-I've got 1,000 gallons at $2! -I'll take 40 shares!
抹香鯨
賣♥♥家 這裏喊價
Seller! Seller! Over here!
標準號♥豐收而返一千六百桶
Criterion's back with a fine haul. 1,600 barrels.
刷新紀錄
A new record.
倫敦市場的鯨蠟漲到五十英磅
£50 sterling for head matter on the London market.
恭喜
Congratulations.
-早安 契斯先生 -梅森先生
-Good morning, Mr. Chase. -Mr. Mason.
請進
Come in, please.
我的合夥人班傑明福勒
My partner, Benjamin Fuller.
早安 先生
Good morning, sir.