翻開我們的史書
Since the dawn of recorded history,
約有1100多億人
something like 110 billion human beings
降臨過人世
have been born into this world.
卻沒人能長存
And not a single one of them made it.
地球上有68億人
There are 6.8 billion people on the planet.
每年要有六千萬人死去 六千萬
Roughly 60 million of them die every year. 60 million people.
平均每天16萬人
That comes out to about 160,000 per day.
我小時候讀到過這句話
I read this quote once when I was a kid,
"我們獨自降世 孤單終老 塵世之物 皆爲虛妄"
"We live alone, we die alone. Everything else is just an illusion."
想到這句話我就徹夜難眠
It used to keep me up at night.
我們都要孤單終老
We all die alone.
那我爲什麼還要每天奮鬥着 掙扎着
So, why am I supposed to spend my life working, sweating, struggling?
就爲了虛妄之物嗎
For an illusion?
不管我交多少朋友
Because no amount of friends,
泡多少妹子
no girl,
學多少文法
no assignments about conjugating the pluperfect
背多少遍勾股定理
or determining the square root of the hypotenuse
都是一樣的歸宿
is gonna help me avoid my fate.
我要去做更有意義的事
I have better things to do with my time.
少年喬治的煩惱
你的作業呢 喬治
Do you have your work, George?
-沒寫 -爲什麼
- No. - Why not?
-心情不好 -爲什麼心情不好
- I was depressed. - Oh, yes? Why was that?
因爲我意識到我總有一天會死
Because I realized I'm gonna die one day.
我們都是這樣的 George
We're all gonna die one day, George.
因爲這個不做三角函數作業
I don't think that's a reasonable excuse
可說不過去吧
for not completing your trigonometry exercise.
我的確想做
Well, I was trying to.
但是一想到我終將死去
I just couldn't shake this awareness of my mortality.
一切就都沒有意義了
Everything seemed meaningless,
不好意思 您的家庭作業也沒有意義
including the assignment, unfortunately.
你現在給我去校長辦公室
I want you to go to the principal's office
尋找作業的意義
and find meaning in the homework.
在期末之前補完交給我
Bring it to me completed by the end of the period.
-你遲到了 -我專注學習來着
- You're late. - I was so engrossed in my work.
一會可有你受的
Boy, I wouldn't wanna be you right now.
-我什麼都沒做 -怎麼沒做
- I haven't done anything. -You've always done something.
進去吧
You better go.
比爾
Bill.
就算你今年畢業 可以平時出校門
Even though you have off-campus privileges as a senior,
可我要是逮到你抽菸
if you are seen anywhere in the city smoking,
你的這些特權就都沒了 留校察看
you have your privileges revoked. Automatic probation.
跟我說這個幹嘛
Why are you telling me?
-別以爲我聞不出來 -隨便你
- You think I can't smell? - You can smell all you want.
說正事吧
Shall we get down to business?
好
Yes, we shall.
這麼說吧 你的未來取決於接下來幾個月
In a way, your future depends on the next few months.
不只是上大學的事
Not just for college.
接下來的日子對你一生都有影響
I mean, it sets the tone for everything that follows.
我知道你怎麼想
Now, I know how you think and I know
你覺得太晚了 再搬出宿♥命♥論♥
you're thinking it's too late and you're gonna be a fatalist
一切就都玩蛋去了
and let it all go to hell.
但是喬治 你要是再這樣下去
But, George, if you keep performing the way you are,
別說上大學了 你都畢不了業
forget about college, forget about graduating, even.
那麼
So,
這次算是警告 下次就是開除學籍了
this counts as your official warning. Suspension is next.
不是該留校察看嗎
I thought probation was next.
別給我咬文嚼字 我不喫這套
Don't play the angles, George. They won't work.
-我也不喫玩笑這套 -我又沒開玩笑
- Neither do jokes. - I wasn't joking.
我知道你有才華
I know you're capable.
我真的一點動力也沒有
I have a real problem with motivating.
但我盡力而爲 試一試
But I think I can do it. I'll try.
好了 走吧
All right, go.
別讓我後悔
And don't make me regret it.
誰在這吸菸
Who's smoking up here?
喬治 你在幹嘛
George! What do you think you're doing?
不好意思 我
Sorry. I...
今天不太順
I was having a tough day.
我受不了這種壓力 道赫提夫人
I guess the stress finally got to me, Mrs. Dougherty.
喬治 你爲什麼要吸菸
George, why do you do these things?
-謝謝你 -你受不了什麼壓力
- Thank you. -Now, what do you mean by stress?
好啊
Hi.
-我收到學校的郵件了 -天啊
- I got an e-mail from your school. - Oh, Jesus.
什麼留校觀察學習狀態
Some kind of academic probation?
需要我幫忙嗎
Can I help you?
需要找家教或者找人諮♥詢♥一下嗎
Can I get you a tutor or a private college advisor?
你要是上不了好大學
If you don't get into a decent school,
就根本找不到工作
then I don't know how you're gonna get a job.
我能處理好
I have it under control.
親愛的 你要是上不了好大學
Honey, if you don't get into a decent college...
-我要看電視了 -不許去
- I'm gonna go watch TV. - No, you will not watch TV.
你給我待在這
You will stay here
咱倆一起把你升學這件事給解決了
till we can come up with a plan for getting you into college.
今天我很不好過 累了
I had a hard day at school, I'm tired,
我想休息半個小時
and I'm gonna go relax now for half an hour.
然後去做作業 行嗎
Then I will do my work. Okay?
喬治
George?
你♥他♥媽♥幹嘛呢
The fuck are you doing?
畫畫呢
I'm drawing.
是給你的靜物畫素描嗎
Are you sketching your subject, you little shit?
是的
Yes.
-我沒找到想畫的靜物 -爲什麼沒有
- I don't have a subject, Harris. - Why the heck not?
不知道
I don't know.
喬治 我要你發掘身邊的事物
George, you're going to have to start digging around in there,
好好利用你的小天賦
so you can develop that talent of yours,
開動你那小腦筋
so you can start to use that brain of yours
給大家展示你的美麗小心靈
to express that beautiful heart of yours.
好好想想你要表達什麼 然後畫出來
So, figure out what you want to say, and say it.
-哈里斯 -什麼事
- Harris. - Yes.
我沒什麼好表達的
I don't have anything to say.
這個必須有
Find something!
-我叫薩莉 -我知道
- I'm Sally. - I know.
-謝謝你替我擔罪 -小事一樁
- Thanks for covering for me. - No problem.
你爲什麼那麼做
Why did you?
我也不知道
I don't know.
你那麼叛逆
You were doing something so renegade,
不應該擔罪
I thought you deserved to get away with it.
我已經違反過無數次校規了
I run afoul of the authorities so often,
所以我比你輕車熟路一點
I figured I could handle it better than you.
你真古怪
You're really weird.
你爲什麼從來不做作業
So, why don't you ever do your work?
比家庭作業重要的事多着呢
There are so many more important things to think about,
完成了那些再考慮作業
homework ends up seeming like an afterthought.
-你是多動症嗎 -不是 他們把我當多動症治的
- ADD? - No, they tried everything.
利他林 利普能[藥] 諮♥詢♥師什麼的都用過了
Ritalin, Lexapro, tutors, therapy.
都沒用 我百毒不侵
Nothing worked. I'm the Teflon slacker.
我們其實就是在走向死亡
No, it's more like, we're living in a dying time, you know?
看看全球變暖 戰爭 恐♥怖♥主♥義♥ 還有海嘯什麼的
I mean, you got global warming, wars, terrorism, tsunamis.
好吧
Okay...
我們是在逐漸沒落
We're definitely on the downhill side.
那我們爲什麼努力 有什麼意義
So, what are we working towards? What's the point?
我也有過恐懼 但都是比較普通的
I thought I had fears, but they're pretty run-of-the-mill.
-痛苦 死亡 -我可不怕
- Pain, death. - Not me.
我怕的是活着
I fear life.
你有朋友嗎 喬治
Do you have any friends, George?
我不和人交往
I'm kind of a misanthrope.
我也想交往 但沒有辦法
Not a choice, just a fact.
好了 帥哥
Okay, handsome.
媽媽 天啊
Mom! Jesus!
好啊小美女
Hi, banana!
進來坐會嗎