我們躺着 我和我的愛人
We lay, my love and I
在垂柳下
Beneath the weeping willow
但現在只有我一人
But now alone I lie
在柳樹旁哭泣
And weep beside the tree
唱着"噢 柳樹"
Singing "O, willow waly"
在陪我哭泣的柳樹旁
By the tree that weeps with me
唱着"噢 柳樹"
Singing "O, willow waly"
直到我的愛人回到我身邊
Till my lover returns to me
我們躺着 我和我的愛人
we lay, my love and I
在垂柳下
Beneath the weeping willow
但現在只有我一人
But now alone I lie
哦 柳樹 我要死去
O willow, I die
哦 柳樹 我要死去
O willow, I die
我想做的只是保護孩子們
All I want to do is save the children,
不是傷害他們
not destroy them.
對我來說 最重要的就是孩子
More than anything, I love children.
勝過任何事
More than anything.
他們需要關懷
They need affection,
愛...
love...
需要屬於他們的人
someone who will belong to them,
也需要他們屬於的人
and to whom they will belong.
吉登斯小姐 我可以問你一個有點私人的問題嗎
Miss Giddens. May I ask you a somewhat personal question?
你有想像力嗎
Do you have an imagination?
噢 是的 我可以回答
Oh, yes, I can answer that.
-是的 -很好
-Yes. -Good.
事實很難被理解 除非是想像力豐富的人
Truth is very seldom understood by any but imaginative persons
而我想要說實話
and I want to be quite truthful.
我是個單身漢 但是 我得多說一句 並不是獨身
I'm a bachelor. But not, I might add, a lonely one.
很多時間我都在外國
I spend a great deal of time abroad.
至於我的倫敦生活 讓我很愉快
As for my London life, well, it amuses me,
但是這種生活並不適合孩子們
but it's not the sort of amusement that one could suitably share with children.
簡單地說 吉登斯小姐 我是個很自私的人
In brief, Miss Giddens, I am a very selfish fellow
最不想這樣突然間很尷尬地要承擔責任
and the last man alive to be saddled so suddenly and so awkwardly
看護兩個孤兒
with two orphaned infants.
這真是不幸 我沒有空間給他們
It's most unfortunate. For I have no room for them,
不管是精神上還是感情上的
neither mentally nor emotionally.
是不是很無情
Does that seem quite heartless?
這是誠實 而不是殘忍♥
Honest, but not heartless.
那麼 孩子們沒有和你一起住
Then the children do not live with you?
沒有 他們住在我布萊的莊園裏
No, they are at my country estate in Bly,
一個相當大而偏僻的地方
a rather large, rather lonely place.
我想你也會同意鄉村對於孩子來說很合適
I'm sure you'll agree the country seems the proper thing for children.
你的信上也提到你自己就是個農夫的女兒
I see from your letter that you are yourself the daughter of a country parson.
哦 是的 在這兒
Oh, yes, here it is.
"我喜愛孩子 勝過一切"
"More than anything, I love children."
-是的 -多麼崇高
-Yes. -How remarkable.
這幾年來 小邁爾斯和弗洛拉...
For several years now, little Miles and Flora...
很迷人的名字 你覺得呢
Charming names, don't you think?
只有我
Have had only me.
哦 可憐的孩子 他們需要的不只是一個遠方叔叔
Well, poor brats. They need more than a distant uncle.
他們還需要一個家庭教師
They need more than a governess.
他們需要關懷和愛
They need affection and love,
他們還需要相互擁有的人
and someone to whom they can belong and who will belong to them.
就是你 吉登斯小姐 我覺得你正是人選
You, Miss Giddens. I feel that you are that person.
先生 你...
Sir, you...
你意識到這是我第一份工作了嗎
you do realize that this would be my first position?
這有什麼 只要我相信你 只要你相信我...
What does that signify? If I trust you, if you trust me...
你知道 吉登斯小姐 我僱傭的人
You see, Miss Giddens, the person whom I engage
必須莊重的許諾她能夠承擔全部的責任
must solemnly promise to accept full and complete responsibility.
她絕對不會麻煩我
She must never trouble me.
絕對不
Never. Never.
絕對沒有抱怨 沒有申訴 也沒有信
Neither complain nor appeal nor write.
只是接管所有的事...
Simply take the whole thing over and...
別麻煩我
leave me alone.
你說什麼 吉登斯小姐
What do you say, Miss Giddens?
孩子們 嗯...
The children...
-他們以前有過家庭教師嗎 -很不幸
-Have they had a governess before? -Unfortunately.
傑茜爾小姐人很好
There was nothing wrong with Miss Jessel,
優秀的教師 可敬的女人
an excellent governess and a respectable woman.
孩子們很喜歡她 特別是小弗洛拉
The children quite liked her, especially little Flora.
哦 想起來了
Oh, which reminds me,
小心 別和弗洛拉談論這個話題
be careful not to broach that subject to Flora.
她很喜歡傑茜爾小姐...
She was so fond of Miss Jessel and...
這對她來說是個可怕的打擊
it did come as an appalling shock.
我不太明白您的意思 先生
I'm not certain that I understand you, sir.
她死了
She died.
就在我覺得情況穩定下來
Just when I thought I'd got the whole situation settled
一切順利的時候...
and everything running smoothly...
那個討厭的女人死了
the confounded woman died.
非常怪異
It was all very odd.
事發時我正在加爾各答
I was in Calcutta when it happened
我只能到現在才找個人代替她
and I've only now been able to seek a replacement.
同時 我侄子要送去學校
Meantime, my nephew had to be sent off to school
小弗洛拉就讓我的管家
and the little girl, Flora,
格羅斯太太看着她
is being chaperoned by my housekeeper, Mrs Grose.
幫幫我 吉登斯小姐 我真的很無助
Help me, Miss Giddens, for truly I am helpless.
幫幫我
Give me your hand.
答應我吧
Give me your promise.
好吧 先生
Well, sir,
你真的確定
if you are really sure?
我很肯定 也很感激
Quite sure and very grateful.
只是 你記住 你擁有最高權力
Only, remember, you're in supreme authority.
無論發生什麼事 你都要自己解決
Whatever happens, you must handle it alone.
好的 我會盡力
Yes, I'll try.
我答應你
I promise you that.
我會盡力讓孩子們開心
I'll do everything I can to keep the children happy.
噢 停下來 請停下來
Oh, stop! Please stop!
-籲 -如果你不介意 我想從這兒步行
-Whoa there! -If you don't mind, I'd like to walk from here.
隨你的意 小姐
As you wish, miss. Whoa!
謝謝
Thank you.
弗洛拉
Flora!
弗洛拉
Flora!
弗洛拉
Flora!
你沒有聽到 有人叫你嗎
Didn't you hear? Someone is calling your name.
沒有 我沒聽見有人叫我
No, I don't think so. I didn't hear anyone.
你叫弗洛拉 對嗎
Isn't your name, Flora?
我是吉登斯
I'm Miss Giddens.
是的 我知道 你是我的新家庭教師
Yes, I know. You're my new governess.
我一直在這裏等着你
I've been watching the road waiting for you.
你害伯爬行動物嗎
Are you afraid of reptiles?
哦 那要看是什麼了 怎麼了
Oh, that rather depends. Why?
我口袋裏就有一隻 它很想見你
Because I've got one in my pocket and he's very eager to meet you.
那樣的話 無論如何也要見見
Well, in that case, by all means.
它叫魯珀特
His name is Rupert.
-一隻烏龜 -我們彼此喜歡
-Oh, a tortoise. -We love each other.
是的 我能看出來你們很親密
Yes, I can see that you're very close.
非常親近
Very.
喂 你見過吉登斯小姐了
There, now you've met Miss Giddens.
還不只魯珀特一個
But Rupert isn't the only one.
從收到叔叔的信以來
I mean, ever since my uncle wrote,
我們大家一直都盼着你
we've all been waiting and waiting for you to come.
我們很興奮
Oh, we have been excited.
我也是 我真的很興奮
So have I. I've been very excited indeed.
你可沒有我們那麼高興 也沒格羅斯太太興奮
Not as excited as we have. And not as excited as Mrs Grose.
她打掃了又打掃 擦了所有的窗戶
She's cleaned and cleaned. All the windows are washed.
想想...可有134扇窗戶
Just imagine... 134 windows.
-全都爲了我 -是的 我也幫助了
-All that for me? -Yes. And I helped.
我們在一起一定會很愉快的 對吧
Oh, we will have fun together, won't we?
是的 我們會的 親愛的
Yes, we will, dear.
格羅斯太太 她來了 她來了 她不害怕爬行動物
Mrs Grose, she's here, she's here! And she isn't afraid of reptiles.