-那個孩子你覺得如何 -什麼孩子
-What about the kid? -what kid?
那個搖鈴的孩子
you know the kid who rings the bell?
什麼孩子 什麼鈴 你在說什麼
What kid? What bell? what are you talking about?
這個小孩 在礦坑崩塌後 搖鈴警告城裏的人
The kid. After the mine caves in, he rings the bell to alert the town.
-那有在劇本里嗎 -我們給他設定一個疾病如何
-Is that in the script? -What if we gave the kid a disease?
-疾病 -像是腿上打着石膏那一類的
-A disease? -Braces on the leg, that sort of thing.
-但他會跑啊 -他可以用跛行的
-But he runs. -He could hobble.
那個叫麥道威爾的小孩可以嗎
A How Green Was My Valley thing. Is that McDowall kid available?
-年紀太大了而且他是英國人 -那又如何
-Too old. Plus, he's English. -So?
-劇本設定在田納西州 -我有那一頁嗎
-The script's set in Tennessee. -Did I get that page?
忘了什麼疾病吧 沒人要看的 太令人沮喪了
Forget the disease. Nobody wants it. It's depressing.
-老闆說的對誰要疾病啊 -真可怕
-Boss is right. Who needs disease? -It's horrible.
-我討厭疾病 -票房♥毒藥
-I hate disease. -Box -office poison.
慢着我想到一個"若是"
Hold on. I think I got a "what if."
若是我們給這角色-什麼名字來的
What if we give the character... What's his name?
-佛洛依德 -難聽的名字換了它
-Floyd. -Terrible name. Change it.
-我們給這角色一隻狗 -狗
-Say we give no -name a dog. -A dog?
一隻狗他最忠實的伴侶
A dog. No-name's faithful companion.
在煤礦場總陪着 他的主人辛苦工作着
Toils at his master's side in the coal mine.
礦坑崩塌了只有狗逃了出來
Cave-in happens, only the dog gets out.
對 臘腸狗通常較小
Right, 'Cause dogs are smaller, usually.
它跑上山丘並且搖鈴
And it's the dog that runs up the hill and rings the bell.
虧你想得出來太美了
Holy crap, that's beautiful.
-我說不出話來了 -我全身起了雞皮疙瘩
-I'm choked up. -I got goose bumps.
萊禧影業總是票房♥大好
Lassie pictures always gross high.
除了疾病我們給了這小孩一隻狗
Instead of a disease, we give the kid a dog?
-沒有小孩 那小孩就是狗 -正如同影片中所需的
-There is no kid. The kid's a dog. -Could be just what the movie needs.
我們問問編劇好了 如何呢 彼特
Let's ask the writer. What do you think, Pete?
喔 有點...
Wow. That's just...
令人喫驚的
amazing.
當然並非像是明信片一樣
Of course, it's not like the postcards say it is.
你所見的並非每個地方都那麼美麗
It's not glamour everywhere you look.
我知道我住這
I should know. I live here.
這是我的家鄉
This is my town.
好像這兒的居民來自各地
It seems like everyone here's from someplace else.
原因是 電影
The reason? Movies.
大家都喜愛電影
Everybody loves the movies...
讓好萊塢成爲每個人的家
which makes Hollywood everybody's town.
一部一部公車載他們的來到這裏
They come here by the busload.
下一場電影五分鐘後就要開始了
The next show will be starting in five minutes.
請往前取票
Please step up to purchase your tickets....
糖果
Candy.
娛樂活動
Treats.
-夾心軟糖 -你又來這一套
-Bonbons. -There you go.
對多數人來說葛勞門的中國戲院
For most, Grauman's Chinese Theater...
是世界上最刺♥激♥的地方了
is the most exciting place on the planet.
對我來說更是如此
For me, it's that and more.
我首次出現在片尾 電影演員表就是在這
It's the theater playing my first film credit.
不 不是那一部
No, not that one.
我希望是啦
I wish.
不今晚是電影《撒哈拉沙漠大盜》
No, I'm the B movie tonight. Sand Pirates of the Sahara.
還不差啦 我自認爲是
Not a bad picture, if I say so myself.
你必需從某處開始
You gotta start somewhere.
老天啊 我喜歡看到 我的名字出現在海報上
God, I love seeing my name on a poster.
四年前電影界最黑暗的時期
Four years ago, in film land's darkest hour...
所謂的"反美活動審議委員會"
the so-called Hollywood 10...
調查好萊塢的共♥產♥黨人物之前
testified before the House Committee on Un-American Activities...
作證的好萊塢十個人
investigating the Communist menace in Hollywood.
你曾是共♥產♥黨員嗎
Have you ever been a member of the Communist Party?
共♥產♥主義跟此無關
Communism is not related to this.
拒絕回答問題
Refusing to answer questions...
這十個編劇挑戰國會去追查他們
the 10 writers dared Congress to come after them.
多年的爭辯之後 也該要付出代價了
After years of wrangling, it's time to pay the piper.
逮捕入獄 指控罪名 蔑視衆議院
It's off to jail. The charge: contempt of Congress.
新一回合的聽證會今年秋天開始
A new round of hearings begins this fall.
執行令 將赤色共♥黨♥趕出好萊塢
The mandate: Get the Reds out of Hollywood!
-想我嗎 無時無刻
-Miss me? -Every second.
那是我女友珊卓 辛克萊 她也是住這裏
That's my girlfriend, Sandra Sinclair. This is her town too.
從克里夫蘭來 立志成爲女演員
She's from Cleveland. She came out here to be an actress.
她做到了
And that's what she's doing.
她出現的第一部戲
The first picture she ever appeared in...
也是我寫的第一部戲
was the first picture I ever wrote.
荒漠可人兒-艾米莉
The lovely Emily. My desert dove.
你以爲你可以離我遠走高飛嗎
Did you think you could just fly away from me?
-別碰我咖利 -羅蘭
-Hands off, Khalid! -Roland!
-你 我以爲你死了 -你錯了
-You! I thought you were dead. -You thought wrong.
-放她走 -我發現你的固執很煩
-Let her go. -I find your persistence tiresome.
我非常固執的
I get that a lot.
羅蘭 小心
Roland, look out!
這次我會確定你死了
This time I'll make sure you're dead.
狗東西看劍
Taste my steel, you dog.
狗東西看劍
Taste my steel, you dog.
我們錯了我們是相愛的
We were young, we were in love...
我們都在演藝界工作 之前生活還不錯
and we were working in the pictures. Life was good.
露易絲怎麼了
Louise, what gives?
他們讓每個人放假
They gave everyone the day off.
-我的劇本呢 打好字了嗎 -劇本
-What about my pages? Are they typed? -Pages?
交稿期限到了 我要我的劇本
I'm on a deadline, I need my pages.
-那些人帶走了 -那些人 那些劇本還沒完成呢
-Those men took them. -What men? Those pages aren't ready.
彼特我不該跟你說話的
Pete, I'm not even supposed to be talking to you.
他們說你大學時叄加過那些會議
They say you attended those meetings while in college.
他們是誰
Who's they?
衆議院聯邦調查局赤色頻道 都一樣
Congress, FBI, Red Channels. It doesn't matter.
他們知道他們是誰就夠了 回答問題
They know who they are, that's enough. Answer the question.
會議 會議 我怎知道什麼
Meetings, meetings. How the hell should I know?
好久以前了我讀比爾大學
It was a long time ago. I went to college on the G.I. Bill.
叄加了"用麪包代替子彈"社團
The Bread Instead of Bullets Club.
他們是共♥產♥黨 我怎知道
They were Communists? What do I know?
我不懂他們在宣傳什麼
I couldn't figure out what they were saying.
-你爲什麼加入彼特 -因爲某個女孩
-Why did you go, Peter? -There was this girl.
你爲了一個女孩而跟共♥產♥黨徒交往
You consorted with Communists for a girl?
我還叄加讀詩社 並沒有使我成爲卡爾·桑德伯格
I went to poetry readings too. That doesn't make me Carl Sandburg.
利奧你瞭解我 我不理政♥治♥的
Leo, you know me. I'm non-political.
共和黨民♥主♥黨共♥產♥黨 在我看來都一樣
Republicans, Democrats, Communists. They all look alike to me.
身爲製片廠的法律顧問
As legal counsel for this studio...
我強烈建議你注意你的言詞
I strongly advise you to watch what you say.
利奧 戴上你的探員帽
Leo, put your agent hat on.
-你會去做一定有某個動機 -我沒有任何動機
-There must be an angle you can work. -I'm out of angles.
我們正就我的新合約談判當中
We're in the middle of negotiating my new contract.
製片廠今早暫停了談判協商
The studio suspended negotiations this morning.
我被列入黑名單了 我他媽的被列入黑名單了
I've been blacklisted? I've been goddamn blacklisted?
-沒有黑名單 -對沒有黑名單
-There is no blacklist. -Right. No blacklist.
製片廠只是不想知道 你這些懸而未決的事
Studio just doesn't wanna know you with this hanging over your head.
我不能走 再三個禮拜就要開鏡了
I can't leave. We're shooting in three weeks.
大家已經一致的決定 塵歸塵土歸土
Ashes to Ashes has been pulled.
-你相信了 -我很抱歉 彼特
-You believe it? -I'm sorry, Peter.
所以這表示 我必須出庭作證
So, what does this mean? I have to testify?
若是他們要你的話
Assuming they let you.
起碼他們可以讓我爲自己辯護
The least they can do is let me defend myself.
片廠方面會盡力維護你的權益 這是我唯一可以有的保證
The studio will lobby on your behalf. That's all I can promise you.
沒有完全的把握
No guarantees.
-你要去做證 -我能有所選擇嗎
-You up for testifying? -What choice do I have?
他們渴望知道一些姓名 你必須供出一些
They feed on names. You'll have to give them some.
我是作家 若是必要的話我會編出一些
I'm a writer. I'll make up names if I have to.
我們討論的我的事業 我的一生
We're talking about my career, my life.
天啊 他們要什麼我都得給
Christ, I'll give them anything they want.
來吧 乾杯
Come on, toast with me.
敬這自♥由♥之土勇者之家
To the land of the free and the home of the brave.
嘿 彼特 我想你已經受夠了
Hey, Pete. Think maybe you've had enough?
告訴我些什麼 傑瑞 你跟小艾得嘉·胡佛很熟
Tell me something, Jerry. You tight with J. Edgar Hoover?