我父親一生都恨律師
My father hated lawyers all his life.
我個人認爲 他不算是個好人
He wasn't a great guy, my old man.
他酗酒 並且虐待我的母親
He drank and beat up my mother.
他也毆打我
He beat me up, too.
要是你認爲我要成爲一個律師
So you might think I became a lawyer
只是爲了氣他
just to piss him off,
那你也許就錯了
but you'd be wrong.
我之所以想成爲一個律師
I've wanted to be a lawyer
是自從我讀了有關民權律師
ever since I read about the civil rights lawyers
在五十和六十年代
in the fifties and sixties
爲法律發掘出令人驚異的運用
and the amazing uses they found for the law.
他們做了許多人認爲
They did what a lot of people thought
本來是不可能的事
was the impossible.
他們給了律師一個好名聲
They gave lawyers a good name.
因此我進了法學院
And so I went to law school,
這確實激怒了我的父親
and it did piss my father off,
不過他其實總是在發火
but he was pissed off anyway.
在我讀大學的第一年 有一天他喝醉了
In my first year, he got drunk one day
從梯子上摔下來
and fell of a ladder
這發生在他幹活的工廠裏
manufactured by the company he worked for,
而他卻不知道要先告誰
and he didn't know who to sue first.
大約兩個月後他就因此去世了
Now, he died a couple months after that.
我喝乾啦
I'm empty.
我的一些同學
Now, some of my classmates,
知道他們將從學校出去後直接
they knew they were going straight from school
進入頂級的律師事務所
into the top law firms,
主要依靠他們的家庭關係網
thanks mostly to their family connections.
而我所僅有的一個關係
Now, the only connections I had
是三年來在一個酒巴跑堂而建立起來的
were made in the places where I tended bar for 3 years
因爲我得賺錢付我的學費
so I could pay my tuition.
當我躊躇滿志
And while I still had plans
要讓正義之光 照亮每一個黑暗角落
to shine the blazing light of justice into every dark corner,
我其實迫切需要的是一份工作
what I really needed right now was a job,
因爲孟菲斯的律師 太多了
because there are too many lawyers in Memphis.
這座城市到處是他們的身影
This city's infested with them.
我不這麼認爲
I don't think so.
我不知道有什麼能比這更令人苦惱了
I can't think of anything more embarrassing
就是告訴別人
than telling people
我是爲伯魯瑟斯通工作
I work for a guy like Bruiser Stone.
我是說 他是個律師 大家叫他伯魯瑟
I mean, he's a lawyer, and they call him Bruiser.
這就是爲什麼我如此失望
That's how desperate I am.
當然
Sure.
把門關上
Shut the door.
不 不是那個 也不是那個
No, not that. Not that either.
當然
Sure.
當然
Sure.
就在我家吧
Let's make it my house.
好的
OK.
我真的同情這個可憐的FBI探員
I really pity the poor FBI technician
他非要想從交談中
that's gonna have to extract the data
搞些資料出來
from that conversation.
律師的辦公室裏養着活生生的鯊魚
Live sharks in a lawyer's office.
這是個玩笑 明白嗎
It's a joke. Get it?
如此說來 普林斯
So, Prince,
這就是你向我提起過的法學院學生嗎
is this the law student you were telling me about?
是 先生我剛在
Yes, sir. I just finished
孟菲斯州立大學讀完三年級
my third year at Memphis state.
你能讓他在這裏工作嗎
Couldn't you use him around here?
你看 我可以爲他擔♥保♥
Look, I'll vouch for him.
這孩子需要找份工作
The boy needs a job.
他在我們俱樂部的酒巴打工
He's tended bar at our clubs.
魯迪 這兒會是你工作的好地方
This'll be a great place for you to work, Rudy.
這兒會是
This'll be...
你工作的好地方
A great place for you to work.
你可以看到真正的律師是怎麼做的
You can see what real lawyers do.
但這裏不提供帶薪職位
Now, it ain't exactly a salaried position.
不算嗎
It isn't?
我希望我的人 能自己掙出工資來
I expect my associates to pay for themselves...
自己創收
generate their own fees.
向我彙報
Talk to me.
那怎麼運作呢
How exactly does that work?
嗯 魯迪 你每月支取一千美金
Well, Rudy, you draw $1,000 a month,
另外你可以從你賺到的錢裏抽取三分之一
and you get to keep 1/3 of all the fees that you generate.
要是你賺的比支取的多
Now, if you can't cover your draw
那到每個月底差額就算你欠我的
at the end of each month, you owe me the balance.
你聽明白了嗎
Do you understand?
我覺得挺公平 魯迪
Sounds fair to me, Rudy.
這是個不易接受的交易 的確如此
That's a hell of a deal, really.
但這麼做你能掙很多錢
You can make a lot of money this way.
嗯
Um...
讓我來告訴你 魯迪
I'll tell you something, Rudy.
這是我唯一的經營方式
That's the only way I operate.
我會讓你接手很多好案子
And I'll get you a lot of good cases.
我手裏有案子
I have cases.
哦
Uh...
我現在手上有兩個案子
I have 2 cases right now.
一個是辦遺囑
One is a will
我替一個老婦人起草遺囑
that I'm drafting for an old woman.
她很富有 值好幾百萬
She's loaded, too. She's worth millions.
而另一個案子
And then I have this other case.
是個保險案子
It's an insurance case.
巨大福利公♥司♥ 聽說過麼
Great Benefit. You heard of 'em.
你有委託人的簽字嗎
You got these clients signed?
我現在正要去找他們
I'm on my way to see 'em right now,
他們也很願意聽我的意見
and they'll listen to me, too.
我在法律工作室幫過他們的忙
I helped 'em over at a law workshop.
很好 我會讓你去和我的一個同事
All right, I'm gonna have you talk
狄克謝佛來爾談談
to an associate of mine, Deck Schifflet.
他常與那些大保險公♥司♥打交道
He used to work with these big insurance companies.
他負責所有高級別的案件
He handles all the high-powered stuff around here.
嘿 狄克
Hey, Deck!
狄克
Deck!
該死的
Damn it.
你建立了那些案子的檔案了嗎
You got the paperwork on this stuff?
在我的車上
In my car.
很好
Good.
嘿 帥哥
Hey, good lookin'
這是狄克謝佛來爾
this is Deck Schifflet.
這傢伙會帶你上路
This man will get you plugged in.
我想讓你做的是
What I want you to do,
立案起訴這個巨大福利保險公♥司♥
I want you to draw up a lawsuit against this Great Benefit,
並署上我的名字
and you put my name on it.
我們今天就建立檔案
We're gonna file it today.
謝謝你
Thank you.
魯迪 你會學到很多東西
Rudy, you're gonna learn a lot.
魯迪 我很高興你到這兒來
Rudy, I'm glad you came here.
你做了個很好的選擇 孩子
You're making good choices already, son.
不錯 那麼 謝謝你
All right, well, thank you.
好的 謝謝你
OK, thank you.
出去的時候把門帶上 好嗎
Close the door on your way out now, OK?
律師事務所 要幫忙麼
Law offices. May I help you?
這是個辦公室 有人在裏面
This is an office, there's people in it.
要是有人在辦公室裏
If there's somebody in the office,
你就別用它 太擠了
you can't have it, it's off limits.
這裏是廁所
This is the bathroom.
等一會兒
Just a minute.
對不起
Sorry.
那麼 你是他的的同事嗎
So, are you an associate here?
算是吧 不是正式的
Sort of. Not really.
確鑿說來我還不算個律師
I'm actually not a lawyer yet.
電影精選列表