Today, while the earth shakes beneath the heels of marching troops...
今天 當行軍的鐵蹄震動地球
... while a great portion of the world trembles...
當大♥片♥的世界…
... before the threats of acquisitive, power-mad men...
在這些貪得無厭 熱衷權勢的人們面前瑟瑟發抖
... we of America have little time to remember...
我們美國人幾乎沒有時間來紀念…
... an astounding era in our own recent history...
我們自己近代史上一個發人聵聾的時代
... an era which will grow more and more incredible with each passing generation...
一個在一代又一代的傳承中變得 越來越難以令人置信的時代
... until someday people will say it never could've happened at all.
直到最後人們不再認爲它曾經發生過
April, 1918.
1918年 四月
Almost a million American young men are engaged in a struggle...
幾乎上百萬的年輕美國人捲入了一場戰爭
... which they have been told will make the world safe for democracy.
一場據說是爲了實現民♥主♥ 而讓這個世界變得更安全的戰爭
You always come into a rathole like that? What do you want me to do, knock?
你總是這樣竄到坑裏來的嗎? 你還想要我怎麼樣 敲門麼?
Cost me the last cigarette I had.
把我最後一支菸都給廢掉了
Well, can I offer you a nice Turkish prettiest? Number-nine cork tip.
好吧 我賠你一支上等土耳其香菸 怎麼樣? 九號♥過濾嘴香菸
Yeah.
好啊
Hey. Hey, where'd you get those?
嗨 你在哪兒搞到這種貨色的?
A friend of mine in Mineola sends me a fresh batch every week.
我在米里奧拉的一個朋友每週給我寄一包
Look at that.
你看這
Them cooties is getting desperate. They're feeding off tobacco.
這些蝨子都發瘋了 它們開始靠喫香菸來活命了
How much can a cootie smoke?
一隻蝨子能抽多少煙?
Got a light?
有火嗎?
There's 10,000 shell holes around here, and everybody's gotta come diving into this one.
這附近有上萬個彈坑 大家還就是愛往這裏跳
No privacy in this war anymore.
這場仗打得一點隱私都沒了
Sorry. I didn't know anyone was in here.
對不起 我不知道有人在這裏
Ought to put up a sign: "No hunting, shooting or trespassing."
必須立個牌子: 謝絕打獵 開槍或橫穿本地
There goes me prettiest number-nine cork tips. Where are they?
我的上等九號♥過濾嘴沒了 到哪去了?
What's the matter, kid? Nothing.
怎麼啦 小毛孩? 沒什麼
You scared?
你怕了?
Yes, I am.
是有一點
No heart, huh? I'm beginning to think so.
沒膽子了 啊? 我也開始這樣想了
At least I haven't any heart for this.
至少我沒膽敢這個
I hoped this business would be over with before I got here.
我真希望這場仗在我到之前就結束了
What are you, a college kid? I just finished law school.
你幹什麼的 大學生? 我剛唸完法學院
A lawyer, huh? Can you think of anything that can get us out of this hole?
律師 呃? 想得到什麼辦法把我們從這個洞里弄出去嗎?
He wouldn't if he could.
即使他能也不會做的
He's the type that cheers back home. When they get here...
他是那種多在家裏快活的人 等他們上到這裏…
...and things get tough, they fold. - Shut up.
…情況變得糟糕起來 他們就受不了了 - 別胡說
I'm talking to him. And I'm talking to you.
我說他呢 我說的就是你
I don't like heroes or bigmouths.
我不喜歡大英雄啊大嘴巴啊什麼的
We're all scared. And why shouldn't we be?
我們都害怕 再說了 我們爲什麼不害怕?
What do you think we use in war, water pistols?
你以爲我們用什麼打仗?水槍?
You're all right, kid.
你沒事的 小夥子
I like guys who are honest with themselves. Stay that way.
我喜歡心地坦蕩的人 保持這個本色
Come on. Looks like it's quieted down.
走吧 看來沒事了
Mailman, boys! Come and get it! Goodies from home!
郵遞員來了 小夥子們! 過來領信! 家鄉來的好東西!
Rothmore. Here, right here.
羅斯摩爾 這兒 在這兒呢
Fletcher. Here I am.
弗萊徹 我在這邊
Tilton. Here.
提爾頓 這
Aloysius Toohey. Here.
阿羅依斯·圖海 這
Bartlett.
巴利特
Right, buddy.
對了 夥計
Here's mine. Here you are, big and good-looking. Try your luck on those.
這是我的 這是你的 龐大光鮮 你試試這些
Thanks. That's for you.
謝了 這些歸你
Yeah, that's all I've been getting.
對啊 我就得這些個東西
Anything good, I'll split it with you.
有什麼好東西 我會跟你對分的
Oh, now, look at that.
噢 看看這個
Thousands of dames writing us letters that are supposed to pep us up.
成千上萬的淑女們給我們寫信打氣
Get a load of that kisser.
這種人都有一大堆了
Hey, somebody must've sent him some dough.
嗨 一定是有人給他送錢來了
Hey, now, that's more like it.
嗨 這會兒八成是這樣
Very pretty. Yeah.
非常漂亮 是啊
A million guys in the Army, a babe like her has gotta pick out a mug like him.
軍隊裏上百萬的人 這樣的一個漂亮寶貝 還就是挑了他這樣一個土匪
Who she ain't met. When you write, ask if she has a friend.
還是素昧平生的土匪 你回信的時候 問問她有沒有朋友
Put in, "Having a wonderful time. Wish we was in Mineola."
這樣寫, "祝你心情愉快 但願我們在米里奧拉 "
What do you mean, "we"?
你說"我們"是什麼意思?
Bugle too vulgar for you guys? Maybe you need a harp to call you out.
軍號♥對你們太通俗了嗎? 或許得用豎琴把你們叫出去
Come on! Move out!
快點! 都給我出去!
What's the matter? You hard of hearing?
怎麼回事? 你聽不見嗎?
I'm coming, I'm coming. Keep your shirt on.
來了來了 穿好你的汗衫
When you get an order in the Army, buddy, you jump.
哥們 在軍隊裏要是聽到命令 你要立即行動
Like you did when you worked for my dad, and he caught you stealing nickels?
就象你給我爸打工那會兒, 我爸逮到你偷硬幣時你的反應
I ain't working for him. I ain't working for you.
我不再爲他工作 也不爲你工作了
Yeah, well, you might be.
對啊, 不過, 還說不定呢
I'm gonna give you a break.
我給你想好了一個好差事
I'll let you stand behind the bar with your medals on...
我會讓你佩戴勳章站在酒臺後面…
...and tell the drunks how you won the war.
…你可以跟那些酒鬼們大談你 怎麼贏了這場戰爭
Fall in!
集♥合♥!
I said, fall in! Where's the sergeant?
聽到沒有 集♥合♥! 上士哪去了?
Come on. Shake it up! Shake it up!
快點 振作點! 振作點!
Someday I'll catch that ape without those stripes on and kick his teeth out.
總有一天我會在這個猴子不♥穿♥軍裝的 時候逮着他 打得它滿地找牙
Fall in.
集♥合♥
Come on, move along!
快點, 動起來!
You must be quite a guy back home.
你在老家一定是個人物
I do all right.
我挺好的
What is this armistice they've been talking about the past four days?
他們這四天來談論的停戰到底是怎麼回事?
It's just another rumor. This brawl's gonna go on forever.
這是又一個謠言而已 這場仗結束不了的
I ever get back, I'll have a swell law office in the Woolworth Building.
我要是回去了 我要在伍爾沃夫大樓裏找個頂級辦公室
Have it all picked out on the 28th floor.
我已經在28樓找好了
You can see the whole city, the bay, Brooklyn.
你可以看到整個城市 海灣 布魯克林區
What do you wanna look at Brooklyn for?
你幹嗎要看布魯克林?
What are you going to do, George? Just a minute.
你回去幹什麼 喬治? 等一下
That sucker jumped 3 feet in the air and come down stiff as a board.
那個蠢驢跳起三尺 然後像塊木板似的掉了下去
Me? I'll still be in the saloon business.
我? 我會繼續經營沙龍生意
Prohibition law goes in next year.
下一年禁酒法就生效了
It's one thing to pass a law, another to make it work.
通過法律是一回事 執行法律又是一回事
There'll always be guys wanting to drink. They'll enforce that law.
總是有人想要喝酒的 他們會強制執行禁酒法的
No, they haven't got a chance.
不 他們一點成功的機會都沒有
How about you, Eddie?
你會幹啥 艾迪?
I'm gonna get my old job back in that garage.
我會到那家車鋪繼續修車去
Save my money, someday have a shop of my own.
存點錢 有朝一日我自己也開一家
It's my idea of heaven, boys.
那就是我的天堂了 夥計們
A grease bucket, a wrench and a cracked cylinder.
一個黃油桶 一把扳手 一個裂壞的氣缸
You wanna make a living the hard way.
你想過苦日子
All I know is, I don't want any more trouble. I've had some.
我所知道的是 我不再想要任何麻煩了 我已經受夠了
What's the matter, Harvard? Lose the Heinie?
怎麼啦, 哈佛高材生? 沒盯住那個德國佬?
No, but he looks like a kid about 15 years old.
不試 他看起來像個15歲左右的孩子
He won't be 16.
他活不到16歲了
Hey, it's all over, boys, cease firing! The armistice has been signed!
嗨 戰爭結束了 停火! 停戰協議已經簽訂了!
Woolworth Building, here I come!
伍爾沃夫大樓, 我來了!
It's gonna be good to look into a motor again.
能再檢查發動機真是太好了
You know, I like this. I think I'll take it with me.
你們知道嗎 我喜歡這個 我想我會把這把槍帶回去
1919. The war is over, and the people of New York...
1919年 戰爭結束了, 紐約的人們
... are tiring of the constant triumphal procession of returning troops.
開始厭倦不停地歡迎凱♥旋♥而歸的戰士
And still not all of them are back.
而他們 還有很多在排隊歸來
There is alarming news that women's skirts are going to become shorter...
有新聞報道說 女士們的裙子會越來越短
... already they are 6 inches above the ankle.
而它們已經是在腳踝之上6英寸了
Bobbed hair is introduced, but very timidly.
香菇頭已經出現 儘管還不是很普遍
A young upstart named Jack Dempsey will meet Jess Willard...
一個叫傑克·登普西的年輕人一夜成名 將要挑戰傑西·威拉德
... for the heavyweight championship of the world.
爭奪世界重量級拳王
People are talking about the high cost of living. Everything is going up:
人們開始談論生活的昂貴費用 所有的東西都在漲價:
Food, rent, clothing, taxes.
食品 房♥租 衣服 稅收
The Prohibition amendment is ratified by the necessary 36 states...
禁酒修正案已經爲36個州批准
... and becomes the law of the land.
正式成爲這片土地上的法律
People are dancing to the strains of "Dardanella."
人們在隨着"大登德拉"爵士樂起舞
Finally, late in the year...
最後 這一年的年終
... the last detachments of the American forces come back from policing the Rhine...
最後一支美國特遣隊在軍管萊茵河之後迴歸美國;
... almost forgotten by all but their relatives and friends.
除他們的親朋好友 幾乎沒有人還記得他們了
It's Eddie Bartlett!
你是艾迪·巴利特!
You ain't dead? Lf I am, they forgot to bury me.
你還活着? 我要是死了的話 那一定是他們忘記把我埋了
Well, when you didn't come back with the others, we thought you was dead.
是啊, 你沒有跟其他人一起回來 我們都以爲你已經死了呢
They kept me in Germany to straighten things out.
他們把我留在德國料理一些事呢
電影精選列表