萬物理論
1963年 英格蘭 劍橋
快點
Well, come on!
快點 老頭子
Come on, old man.
進入三一路
Coming into Trinity Lane!
看着點路 布萊恩
Eyes on the road, Brian.
布萊恩找到了空隙
Brian spies an opening!
看着點
Eyes on the staff!
霍金要輸了
Hawking's lost it!
不要
No!
你輸了 布萊恩
You lose, Brian.
太慢了 老頭子
Too slow, old man.
太慢了
Too slow.
我的天哪
Oh, my goodness. Right.
該喝酒了 你好啊
Time for a drink, yeah. Hello.
要是宇宙的奧祕跟性有關
What if the secret of the universe has something to do with sex.
你博士論文就寫這個吧 愛之物理學
Maybe do your doctorate on that? The physics of love.
-那是你的研究領域吧 -最近沒怎麼研究了
- I think that's more your field, Brian. - Not lately.
你要是再定不下來 就要被請出去了
They will boot you out, you know, if you don't decide.
我認識這裏所有的...棒極了
I know everybody here who's... brilliant.
居然是科學家們
Oh, dear, scientists!
別擔心 不會待太久的
Don't worry, we don't have to stay long...
簡直無聊到死
looks mortifyingly dull.
-沒勁 -那是誰
- Bores. - Who's that?
哪個 他嗎
Who's who? Oh, him?
他挺怪的 也挺聰明 去了抗♥議♥核遊♥行♥[1960年代]
He's strange, clever, goes to "Ban the Bomb" marches.
王爾德 簡·王爾德
Wilde. Jane Wilde.
大衛在那 大衛
Oh, there's David... David?
-我馬上回來 馬上回來 -戴安娜
- I'll be back in a minute. I'll be back in a second. - Diana! Diana!
-你好 -你好
- Hello. - Hello.
-理學嗎 -文學
- Science? - Arts.
-英語 -法語及西班牙語
- English. - French and Spanish.
那你呢 你學什麼的
What about you? What are you?
-宇宙學家 我是個宇宙學家 -那是什麼
- Cosmologist, I'm a cosmologist. - What's that?
就是特別聰明的 不信上帝的人
It's a kind of religion for
-信的宗教 -聰明的不信上帝的
- intelligent atheists. - Intelligent atheists?
你不信教吧
You're not religious, are you?
國教
C Of E.
-就是英國國教[聖公會] -是啊
- Church of England. - England, yes.
總得有個信教的
I suppose someone has to be.
那宇宙學家信奉什麼呢
So, what do cosmologists worship then?
信奉什麼
What do we worship?
用一個統一的方程
One single unifying equation
來解釋宇宙萬物
that explains everything in the universe.
-是嗎 -是
- Really. - Yes.
是什麼方程
What's the equation?
問題就在這
That is the question.
這個問題非常好 我還不清楚
And a very good question. I'm not quite sure yet.
但我想研究出來
But I intend to find out.
那你爲什麼不留在牛津
Then why didn't you stay at Oxford?
因爲我的期末考試考得一塌糊塗
Because my finals exams were such a shambles
他們叫我參加個口試
that the examiners they settled me in for a "Viva",
-他們說如果我拿到二等 -口試是什麼
- And they told me that if I go up a second... - What's a "Viva"?
有點恐怖 跟人面對面坐下來什麼的
It's a sort of, mildly terrifying face-to-face thingy.
-面試嗎 -審訊吧
- Like an interview? - An interrogation.
我告訴他們 如果給我二等學位[參考片尾註釋]
And I told them that if they gave me a 2nd class degree
我就得留在牛津做研究
then I'd stay with them and do my research at Oxford,
如果給我一等學位 我就能去劍橋了
but if they gave me the 1st, I needed to get into Cambridge,
他們就能永遠甩掉我了
then they would never have to see me again.
所以他們給了你一等
They gave you the 1st.
沒錯
They gave me the 1st.
-是啊 -派對已經正式結束了
- Of course. - This party is officially deceased.
來吧 我找輛車送你回家
Come on, I've fixed you up a ride home.
走啊 簡
Come on, Jane...
簡
Jane?
-跟你聊天很開心 -我也是
- Well, it was lovely to talk to you. - Yes.
還有 希望你能找到那個方程
And... I hope you find your equation.
是啊
Yes... oh...
-再見 -再見
- Bye. - Bye.
斯蒂芬
Stephen?
來看看這個
Well, then, here we are,
給你們的小測試
a little challenge for you all,
在你們踏上學術研究之路時...
as you embark upon your separate doctoral journeys...
不管你們打算研究什麼 霍金先生
whatever they may be, Mr. Hawking.
傳下去
Pass them down.
來看看你們是男人還是男孩
Something to separate the men from the boys,
是糧食還是糟糠
the wheat from the chaff,
介子還是π介子 真夸克[基本粒子之一]還是假行家
the mesons from the pi-mesons, the quarks from the quacks.
十個問題 一個比一個難
Ten questions, each more impregnable than the last.
祝你們好運吧 週五三點再見
Good luck, you'll need it. Shall we say Friday at 3 o'clock?
我要做到癱瘓了
This is going to hospitalize me.
一 劃
And one, drive!
二 劃
Two, drive!
三 劃
Three, drive!
堅持住 布萊恩 給你喊個持久的
Stay long, Brian. I'll give you something long.
堅持住 布萊恩 加把勁 布萊恩
Stay long, Brian. Keep long, Brian!
閉嘴
Shut up!
-撐住啊 布萊恩 -累死了
- Long, Brian! - I'm exhausted.
堅持住 布萊恩
Stay long, Brian!
彈它 彈它 該死
Flip it, flip it! Wiggs.
換個人好嗎
Somebody else for once.
-再來兩杯這個 -好啊
- Can I get two more of those, please? - Yeah, sure.
-換點零錢打個電♥話♥ -好的
- And some change for payphone, Sir. - Yeah.
-斯蒂夫 你沒事吧 -簡
- Steve, you all right, mate? - Jane.
猜我那天碰到他跟誰在一起 卡羅琳
You'll never guess who I saw with him the other day... Caroline.
快把他留住吧 別放出來嚇人
For heaven's sake, she can save him, quite frankly.
這概率有多大
What's the probability?
小的不得了
Reasonably low.
這個 這是斯蒂芬
Uh... this is... this is Stephen.
-你玩槌球嗎 -槌球
- Do you play croquet? - Croquet?
有陣子沒玩了
Not recently.
週日早上
Sunday morning.
我週日早上有事
I'm actually busy on Sunday mornings.
是啊 跟上帝[做禮拜]
Oh... Him.
好吧
Okay.
好吧 接着之前的說...
Anyway, before I was completely interrupted...
快起牀 你做出了幾個
Oh, come on, get up! How many did you get?
-早上好 布萊恩 -下午好 斯蒂芬
- Morning, Brian. - Good afternoon, Stephen.
那幾個超級難問題你做出幾個
How many of the impossible questions did you do?
布萊恩 你在說什麼啊
Brian, I have no idea what you're talking about.
夏瑪的問題 你做出幾個 斯蒂芬
How many of Sciama's questions did you get, Stephen?
-沒做 -一個沒做嗎
- None. - You didn't get any?
我一會再做
I was going to do them later.
你看都沒看
You haven't even looked at them.
沒看
No.
斯蒂芬 你知道自己
Stephen, are you aware that
是自願攻讀物理學博士學位的吧
you've voluntarily embarked on a PhD in physics?
還是在英國最頂尖的大學裏
At the most prestigious college in England?
知道
Yes.
還以爲入學典禮時候你睡着了呢
Oh! Thought maybe you'd slept through the induction or something.
布萊恩
Bri?
-怎麼了 -放段瓦格納吧
- What? - Can you whip on some Wagner?
一邊去
Sod off!
-請進 斯蒂芬 -抱歉
- Come in, Stephen. - Sorry.
邁克 你這亂成一坨
Michael, that's so illegible
我也不知道你錯了多少 估計是不少
I can't quite decipher how wrong it is, I suspect enormously,
布萊恩 看不懂你寫的什麼
and Brian... that's just baffling.
-您受累做了沒 -抱歉
- Have you even bothered to? - Oh, sorry.
列車時刻表
Train time tables.
這怎麼行 這時刻表都過期了
It's certainly unacceptable, these expired a month ago.
在背面 我出了點事
It's on the back, I had a little accident.