十月 我和我哥哥離開了俄亥俄 駛往加利福尼亞
In October, my brother and I left Ohio. We were driving to California.
星期四的晚上 我們到了達拉斯
We got into Dallas on a Thursday night.
星期五早上 就在我喝着咖啡 喫着雞蛋的時候
Friday morning, while I'm eating eggs and drinking coffee,
找到了一份工作
I get a good job.
這兒的所有人都好像失業了
I mean, it's, you know... all these people are supposedly out of work.
而我 剛進這個城市一天 就找了份工作
I'm not in town a half a day, and I've got a job.
日子過得井井有條 好像我命宿此地
Everything clicked. It's as if I was meant to be here.
我好幾次從家裏逃出來 一次還是兩次 我不記得了
I'd run away from home a couple of times. Once or twice. I don't know.
那時候 大衛也正從家裏跑出來
And this all started, David is running away from home.
他拿着...我帶着父親的一把手♥槍♥和獵槍
And he takes... I took a pistol of my dad's and a shotgun.
偷走了鄰居的車子
Took a neighbor's car.
我曾經潛入他家拿走了車鑰匙
I had broken into their house and got the keys to it.
我糊里糊塗地
I forget exactly what it was.
來到了達拉斯
Ended up coming to Dallas.
我去工作的時候 還沒有別人來
I went to work and no one showed up.
到了週末 他們有時做一會 有時就不做
Being a weekend, sometimes they worked, sometimes they didn't.
回家的路上 我的車沒油了
On the way home, I ran out of gas.
當我帶着油罐 沿着馬路走的時候
And as I was walking down the street with the gas can...
就在那時 一個人 把停車了下來
a person, at that time, pulled over.
我想他是看到我提了油罐
I guess since I had the gas can...
認爲我沒油了 我離他的車子不足100碼
he figured I was out of gas. I wasn't 100 yards from the car.
糟糕的是 正值感恩節週末 加油站都關了
And being Thanksgiving weekend, there was no gas stations open.
他停下來 問我要不要幫忙
He stopped and asked me if I needed any help.
我正開着車子駛在往達拉斯的路上
I'm driving down some street somewhere in Dallas.
那時我剛16歲
I had just turned 16.
那兒有個人 我想他是沒汽油了
And there was a guy over there, I think he'd run out of gas...
我帶着他去找些油 他就是蘭德爾 亞當斯
I took him to get some gas. This was Randall Adams.
然後就跟着他到了他和他哥的住處
Ended up following him where him and his brother were staying.
就在那個晚上
Eventually, that evening...
我們出去喝了點啤酒
we went out and got some beer.
抽了點大♥麻♥ 很盡興
We smoked a little marijuana and what have you.
接着又去看了場電影
Went to a movie that night.
星期六 我起來就去工作了
I get up, I go to work on Saturday.
我怎麼會碰到這個孩子的 我也不知道
Why did I meet this kid? I don't know.
我怎麼就在那個時候沒油了
Why did I run out of gas at that time?
我也不知道 但這恰恰發生了
I don't know. But it happened.
12月21號♥ 他們來接我
The day they picked me up, December 21.
他們帶我上樓 至於哪一層 我不知道
They took me upstairs. What floor, I don't know.
他們帶我進入一個小房♥間
But they put me in a little room.
蓋斯 羅斯走了進來
Gus Rose walked in.
他有一份招供書 讓我籤
He had a confession there he wanted me to sign.
他說我得籤
He said that I would sign.
他纔不管我說什麼 讓我在紙上簽字
He didn't give a damn what I said. I would sign this piece of paper.
我告訴他 我不籤
I told him I couldn't.
我不知道你們這些人指望我什麼
"I don't know what the hell you people expect of me.
但是我無論如何也不能籤
"But there's no way I can sign that."
他走出去 不到10分鐘 又回來
He left. He came back in 10 minutes.
扔了一把手♥槍♥在桌上
And threw a pistol on the table.
讓我瞧瞧 我看了一眼
Asked me to look at it. Which I did. I looked.
他讓我拿起手♥槍♥
He asked me to pick it up.
我拒絕了 我怎麼可以這麼做
I told him no, I wouldn't do that.
他威逼我
He threatened me.
我只能再次拒絕
Again, I told him no.
他扣着左輪手♥槍♥的扳機對着我
He pulled his service revolver on me.
我們目視對方 而我覺得似乎過了幾個小時
We looked at each other for... To me, it seemed hours.
我不喜歡對着槍孔
I do not like looking down the barrel of a pistol.
我更不喜歡被威脅
I do not like being threatened.
最後 他要麼殺了我
When he finally saw that he would either have to kill me...
要麼放棄簽名
or forget the signature...
我想他還是選擇放棄了 因爲他收起手♥槍♥
I guess he forgot the signature, because he put his pistol up.
他收起桌上的槍 然後摔門而出
He took the pistol on the table, put it up and stormed out.
我和他輕鬆友好的交談
I had a casual, friendly conversation with him to start with...
並打量了他一番
to try to size him up...
也瞭解了他的一些喜好
to see what he liked and what he didn't like.
我突然發現他沒什麼道德
I found almost immediately that he didn't have much conscience.
他做完壞事 不會覺得心煩
Anything he had done, it never really bothered him.
他告訴我
He had done other things that he told me about...
他從來就沒有愧疚之感
that didn't seem to bother him in the least.
他面無表情
He showed no expression whatsoever.
坐再那 一會談到牆的顏色
It's just like he's sitting here talking about the color of this wall...
一會又提及他槍殺♥警♥官
or the shooting of the police officer.
對我所有問題他都漠然置之
He showed no reaction to any of the questions.
他甚至強調他的清白
He almost overacted his innocence.
堅稱自己沒做錯什麼
He protested he hadn't done anything.
我們怎麼會把他帶來 不可理喻
Couldn't imagine why we were bringing him in.
他不反抗
He didn't fight or he didn't resist.
他只是堅信他的無辜
He just protested his innocence.
我告訴他們 星期六我和這個孩子的事
I told them what happened that Saturday, that I had met this kid.
而且不斷重述此事
I kept telling them the same thing.
他們不信任我
They didn't want to believe me.
我想打個電♥話♥從來沒被批准過
Never once was I allowed a phone call.
那也沒有律師 從來沒有
Never once was an attorney there.
我不知道過了多久
I don't know how long this had been.
兩包煙抽完已經好久了
I had smoked two packs of cigarettes and had been out for a long time.
伍德的罰款單從不離車
Wood didn't take his ticket book out of the car.
他一直把它放在前座上
He left it in the car on the front seat...
顯然 他不會去籤一張罰款單的
which indicates that he was not going to write a ticket.
他可能做的就是讓他們打開汽車前燈
What he was probably going to do was have them turn on the headlights.
他不知道那部車子是偷來的
He didn't know that the car was stolen.
我想 他很有可能
I think that there's a very good chance...
檢查駕照
that he was going to check the driver's license...
並告訴他把前燈打開 然後就放他們走
and tell him to turn on his headlights, and let the guy be on his way.
伍德警官的妻子給他買♥♥了件防彈衣
Officer Wood's wife had purchased him...
還掛在聖誕樹下
a bulletproof vest and had it under the Christmas tree.
也可能先收起來了 到聖誕節再給他
Or had it stored away, to give to him at Christmastime.
他的搭檔是第一個
His partner was one of the first female police officers...
被委任巡邏任務的女警官
that was assigned to patrol.
他們從西北局過來 按時接♥班♥
They were from the Northwest Station. Just patrol officers following the clock.
值夜班
Working the graveyard shift and everything.
他們進了一個快餐店 買♥♥了杯麥芽汁
They had been into a fast-food restaurant. And she had a malt.
車子開了過來 裏面有兩個人 沒有開車燈
This car came by, these two dudes in it, with no lights on.
這個問題到不嚴重
It wasn't a serious problem...
但他停下了車子 打開燈示意他停車
but he just pulled up, turned his lights on to stop him.
只是爲了警告他沒開燈
Just to warn the man that his lights were off.
他走出車門 迎了上去
Got out of the car and walked up.
就在他向到車窗的時候 司機...
Before he got to the window, where the driver was...
當他到了車窗
he was in the right position.
那人轉過身來
This man just turned around and just...
拿着一支小口徑手♥槍♥
with a little small-caliber pistol.
第一槍打在了他手臂上
The first shot hit him in the arm.
他拿着手電筒 子彈擊中了手電筒進入了他的手臂
He had his flashlight. It hit the flashlight and went into his arm.
第二槍擊中了他胸腔右部
The next one hit him right in the chest.
警官倒在第一交通道上
The officer falls in the street and he was in the first traffic lane.
他躺在那 流血至死
He lay there and bled to death.
她走出車門
So she's out of the car.
她仍開手♥槍♥
She empties her pistol at the fleeing suspect...
跑過去救他
and she runs to his aid.
一般程序是抓起電♥話♥報♥警♥
Procedure says you grab the radio and call for an ambulance.
常識是這樣的 可如果你遇上這種事 會怎麼做
Common sense would tell you that. But what do you do?
那個時候 她只是不知所措
And that time, she's so... just tore down.
血 到處是血
And the blood. An enormous amount of blood.
我們又怎麼能再追究她的失職呢
How do we hold her responsible for not following procedure?
可最重要的是 她忘了汽車牌照號♥碼了
But the main thing was, she couldn't remember the license number.
我們勘查現場 開始收集證據
When we started putting facts together on how much information we had...
可我們卻一無所獲
from the leads we had, we found out we didn't have anything.
我們只知道那是輛藍色的Vega車
The only thing that we knew we were looking for was a blue Vega.
德州每一輛已經註冊的Vega車
Probably every Vega that was registered in the state of Texas...
都被攔住 檢查
was stopped and checked.
有人報♥警♥說
We had people calling the office...
我找到一輛Vega 但不是藍色的
saying, "I've got a Vega and it's not blue.
電影精選列表