M·R·詹姆斯鬼故事聖誕特別篇《塔木德律書》
約翰?
John?
小姐您可算來了
You came quick.
- 他們說他時日無多了 - 正是
- They said it would only be a matter of hours. - Aye.
老爺的“11”浮現了
His elevens are up.
- 你說什麼? - 老爺的“11”
- I beg your pardon? - His elevens.
他脖子後面的肉凸出來,活像數字“11”
Flesh on the back of his neck standing out like the number eleven.
那是死亡的標誌,老奴對此頗爲清楚
That's the mark of death,I know it well.
請恕老奴直言。。。
He won't last the night...
恐怕老爺熬不過今晚了
That's my opinion.
您是不是還挺期盼的,小姐?
I imagine you has expectations,eh, missus?
盼着老爺仙逝,您就可以搬過來了吧?
Of moving in here,when the master's gone?
唔,我們。。。有個協議
Well. We have...an understanding.
我舅舅總是讓我相信房♥子產權
My uncle has always led me to believe that the estate
會由我表哥約翰和我平分
will be divided equally between my cousin John and myself.
噢,是嗎?呵呵呵
Oh, aye?
儘管討論這種事情很不雅
Though it's in very poor taste to discuss such things.
尤其在這個時候
At a time like this.
他不會介意的,這個老惡魔!
He won't mind. The old devil!
剛嫂!
Mrs Goundry!
噢,老奴知道老爺是個牧師,但他就是惡鬼投胎!
Oh, I know he's a parson,but he's the very devil!
老奴最清楚了,給他當牛做馬那麼多年
I should know. Slaving and doing for him all these years.
報應,他報應臨頭了,不是嗎?
Still. He's got a reckoning coming soon, in't he?
真是舉頭三尺有神明啊
With the Almighty.
不知道是哪路神仙顯靈
Or someone else.
瑪麗?
Mary?
瑪麗,是你嗎?
Mary, is that you?
是的,舅舅,是我
Yes, Uncle. It's me.
您需要什麼嗎?
Is there anything that you need?
我快不行了,瑪麗
I'm dying, Mary.
坐近點,瑪麗
Come closer, Mary.
有些事情必須得告訴你了。。。。
There's something you must know...
二十年後
您好久沒來敝館了,先生
Long time since your last visit, sir.
嗯,確實
Yes, indeed.
我來貴館找一本書
I have here the title of a book.
一本。。。
A book I...
我想要的書
want.
燈光不太好,你瞧
The light is very bad, you see,
我在這樓梯上爬上爬下的時光中
and to go traipsing up and down stairs at my time of life,
- 我想。。。 - 我理解,先生,我把它當作日常的磨練
- I wonder... - I quite understand, sir.I find it a daily trial myself.
噢,你應該聽聽我彎腰時膝蓋的響聲
Oooh, you should hear my knees when I bend down.
- 是啊,是啊... - 像開槍一樣
- Yes, yes... - Like pistol shots.
請問這裏有人能幫我找一下這本書嗎?
I wonder, is there anyone who could go and find the book for me?
呃?嗯。。。
Eh? Um...
就這小夥子吧,是咱們大學裏的一個學生,先生
Ah, just the fellow.One of our students, sir.
他勤工儉學
Paying his way through the university.
- 加勒特先生! - 在
- Mr Garrett! - Yes.
你可以抽空幫一下這位先生嗎?
Have you a minute to help this gentleman?
- 非常樂意,煙鬼 - 艾?
- With pleasure, Sniffer. - Eh?
呃。。。霍奇森先生
Um...Mr Hodgson.
這位先生來找一本書
Gentleman here's after a book.
唔,那他可來對地方了
Well, he's come to the right place.
好吧,《塔木德:律書》
Right, "Talmud: Tractate Middoth.
“尼德斯註解版,阿姆斯特丹,1707年”
"The commentaries of Nachmanides,Amsterdam, 1707."
這本書是講什麼的?
And what's that when it's at home?
是希伯來作品集,霍奇森先生
It's a collection of Hebrew writings, Mr Hodgson.
噢,頗有異國情調
Oh. Very exotic.
我想我能很輕鬆地找到它
I think I can find this easily enough.
噢,您就只要這個版本吧?
Oh, I suppose it's that edition you want?
就這一個版本
That and no other.
不要出錯
If it's no trouble.
當然不會
None at all.
我由衷感謝
Much obliged, I'm sure.
我去去就來
Won't be a moment.
怎麼了?
Well?
- 我很抱歉,那本書借出去了 - 什麼?你確定?
- I'm so sorry. The book's out. - Out? Are you sure?
唔,我看見一位先生從書架上把書拿走了
Well, I saw a gentleman take the book off the shelf.
一位先生?他。。。
A gentleman? What...
。。。他長什麼樣?
...what was he like?
噢,矮個子,穿着件大衣
Oh, shortish. In a sort of cloak.
老式着裝,像個牧師
Old-fashioned. Like a priest.
如果您不介意等的話,他馬上就會下來
If you don't mind waiting,he'll be down in a minute.
我保證他很快就會過來,也許他會把書讓給您
I'm sure he'll be here in a bit and maybe he'll let you have the book.
不,不,我不。。。
No, no. I won't...
我。。。我等不了,謝謝
I...I can't wait now, thank you.
不,火車,你懂的,我要趕路了。。。
No. Train, you see. I must catch...
我會回來的,明天來
I'll be back. Tomorrow.
對,明天
Yes, tomorrow.
好的,我會準備好的。。。
All right. I'll have it ready if...
他來得太遲了,不是嗎?
Shouldn't have left it so late,should he?
在搞什麼,哥們?
Something the matter, chum?
噢,沒事,沒事,喬治
Oh, no. Not really, George.
我只是覺得自己好傻♥逼♥
Just that I feel such a bloody fool.
哦?
Oh?
一位先生來借這本書
A gentleman was after this book.
我告訴他書被借走了,但其實書就在這
I told him it was out and here it is.
這就尷尬了!
Large as life!
是我的錯
My mistake.
不過說來也好笑
Funny, though. Hmm?
我都沒見他下來
I've not seem him come down.
你瞧見了嗎?
Did you see him?
一個老頭,穿着大衣,禿頭,長得像個牧師?
Old man in a cloak, bald,had the look of a vicar?
不好意思,我剛纔聚精會神
I fear I was too immersed
在看《但以理書僞經》,哥們兒
in the Apocrypha of the Book of Daniel, chum.
反正你也找到了
Well. You've found it now.
我確信咱們這位客人會在合適的時候再來的
I'm sure our customer will be back for it in his own good time.
- 什麼味啊? - 是啊
- What's that? - Yes.
我也聞到了,前幾天就聞到了
I've noticed that too.Last couple of days.
我還以爲是你的。。。。
I assumed it was your...
別賴我,我這是電子菸斗
Not guilty. Ready rub.
聞起來不是很清新,是吧?
Doesn't smell too healthy, does it?
嗯。。。
Hmmm...
灰塵嗎?
Dust?
嗯,奇怪的灰塵
Hmm, rum sort of dust.
啊!今天好早啊,先生?
Ah! Early start today, sir?
那本書在了嗎?有了嗎?
You have it? You have the book?
您一定會覺得我有點傻,您貴姓。。?
You're going to think me a bit dim, Mr...?
埃卓德,爲什麼這麼說?怎麼了?
Eldred. Why? What's happened?
怎麼了?
What's...wrong?
噢,昨天書根本沒有被借走!
Well, it hadn't been taken out at all!
如果您不介意等的話,我現在就去拿
If you don't mind waiting,I'll go and fetch it now.
噢,抱歉
Oh, sorry.
打擾一下
Excuse me.
請問您。。。。
Are you...
準備借走那本書嗎?
Will you be taking out that book?
樓下有位先生
It's just that there's a gentleman downstairs
非常渴望。。。借走它。。。
who's very keen to borrow...that...
豈有此理!
This is intolerable!
怎麼了先生?
Sir?
走到圖書館那一頭要這麼久嗎?
Is it a long way to that part of the library?
- 嗯? - 咱們那位小夥計呢?
- Hm? - Where our friend is?
噢,唔,唔。。。我剛纔被一些樂事兒走神了
Oh. Well, well...I was thinking myself it was a bit funny.
那小夥平時幹活挺麻溜的
That young fella's very swift as a rule.
我看看能不能把他變出來
I'll just see if I can conjure him up.
- 你說什麼? - 我打電♥話♥催一下,先生
- I beg your pardon? - On the telephone, sir!
啊,加勒特先生在你那嗎?
Ah, is Mr Garrett up there with you?
你什麼...?
You what...?
嗯。。。
And...
噢,佛祖啊。。。好吧
Oh, dear... Right.
唔,謝謝你
Well, thank you.
電影精選列表